SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellismith

Adding SDL muntins to Exterior Only Windows

shellismith
9 years ago

We are building a custom home along the coast in Galveston, TX. Due to miscommunication, our builder ordered all windows for the home based on the architect's drawings without our approval. Our understanding was that the windows in our plans were just "place holders," and we would choose every detail of the windows when the time came to order. Nevertheless, the windows were ordered months ago, and we just found out.

I have known from the beginning that I wanted the best version of an SDL that I could find. In other words, an SDL with muntins on the interior, inside the glass with spacers, and on the exterior of the window. We have to use impact rated windows. The builder ordered Windpact Plus by Custom Window Systems (CWS) with between the glass only grids (in flat grids I'm assuming).

After realizing the miscommunication and unfortunate reality that decisions had been made and orders placed, I asked him to look into any option to help rectify the situation. The builder came back and said that they could purchase and permanently install SDLs on the exterior of the windows and doors. Most of the windows are single-hung. He indicated that the company does not recommend installing them on the interior of the windows "because they rub." He said CWS typically does not apply the SDL material to the inside of the window until because it interferes with the operation of the window itself. The SDL bar will actually rub against the SDL bar on the top sash when you raise it. The SDL material would only be between the windows and on the exterior of the window.

The first question is if any of you have any experience with this? I have often seen muntins on the interior side of (single-hung operable) windows so I'm wondering how they do it? I googled as well and didn't come up with anything. I don't see any information out there about ill effects of opting for interior and exterior adhered SDLs on single hung windows.

Also, if we go with this option, will this look terrible from the inside of the home??? Being a coastal home and wanting to see outside, we will not have plantation shutters, blinds, etc. The window will be on full display.

Secondly, the bid for the material cost alone was $4,561 ($3,286 for windows and $1,275 for doors) PLUS $3,800 to install the SDLs. So all in, $8,361 to gain the effect I am looking for (BUT ONLY on the exterior of the home). It doesn't even achieve the interior look we hoped for. For a point of reference, there are 21 single hung, with 19 transom windows above, 3 casement, and 16 picture windows, along with 4 french doors.

I have heard success stories from people using Big Blue Windows here on Houzz but hate to mess with this after the fact and still not sure I'm going to achieve the results I'm wanting. Plus, often times you plan on doing something after the fact thinking you can save money by not going through the builder, and it ends up being much more hassle and more costly. You also run into lots of questions like...do I want full surround or no surround? What does that even look like? What if the pre-existing grills between the glass don't line up right with the Big Blue product?, etc.

Thoughts? I will attach a couple of pictures showing the look that I am aiming for. I have never seen the CWS SDL windows so if anyone has experience on how this looks, please share. ;)

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (10)