SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaime6504

ANDERSEN WINDOWS: SDL vs. FDL / Woodwright or Tilt-Wash

jaime6504
5 months ago

Hi - Building an addition and purchasing a few Andersen doublehung windows for the new portion of the house that will match the Renewal Windows used in the older part of the home (prior to when we bought it). Those windows have FDL (with the stainless steel separator in between the grilles).

We have 3/4 inch grille in existing windows and will be using the same on new windows. I am wondering if we need the FDL? THE FDL with the stainless piece is on our current windows, but I'm not sure I need to spend the money to replicate this look on our new windows. We also have a number of casements going into our kitchen. Thoughts? Has anyone seen one vs. the other in person?

Second, Andersen is recommending the Woodwright for our 3 double hungs, as the exterior sash in fibrex will more closely match the renewals we have. However, Woodwright locks us into a historic sash lock in white vs. the estate style we have on other renewal windows and prefer. Alternatively, the jamb liner for the tilt-wash is white on the inside and white on the outside and will be visible from the outside (our exterior is sandtone). These are second story windows, so I THINK we would be okay on this front.

If we go woodwright, the jamb liner is wood, but will be white for us as we are having white interior (so painted wood/white). But, I would get to choose white or grey for the outside - serious design flaw in my opinion! We would go grey to try and more closely match the sandtone exterior.

I'm had been leaning towards tilt-wash - with white jamb liners inside and live with it on the outside. And the estate lock in stone to match our others. Not sure about the FDL vs SDL.

Help and experience appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (7)