SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
virtualanne

Gas/Induction cooktop... Ramblewood? And a hood to go with it.

Anne
9 years ago

I'm planning a kitchen remodel, and would like a cooktop with both induction and gas. We live in a pretty remote area, and sometimes lose electricity for a few days at a time, so I need the gas as well as the induction - and the gas needs to work with propane and to be able to be lit with a match.

I have room for a 36" cooktop. I'm looking at the Bertazzoni segmented cooktop, Ramblewood, and Summit. I'd be interested in others, but since the prices for higher end models like Wolf, Miele, etc; are only available by phone, I suspect they are out of my price range... though if anyone could give me an idea of what they cost that would be helpful.

I thought the Summit 12" hobs might be a good fit, but when I contacted the company they told me that gas could not be placed directly next to the induction.

I like the Bertazzoni, but I'd really prefer 2 gas hobs and 4 induction, and they don't offer that. I also read a review here where someone mentioned that the hobs on the induction are a bit too close together. That is something that really annoys me with my current cooktop - though it's probably made worse by the pop-up vent.

Ramblewood looks like a good fit, but I can't find any reviews of the quality. Does anyone here have a Ramblewood cooktop?

I'll also need to pick out a hood vent. The cooktop is going to be in a peninsula - facing the living room. I could do an under-cabinet vent or perhaps a wall style, because there is a beam running above the peninsula, and I could attach a soffit or a cabinet to that. There is a bedroom above the kitchen, so it would be vented out the side of the house, then up through the roof sunroom that will be beside the kitchen.

Since the hood will be facing the living room, (and because I am sensitive to noise), I want something that's VERY quiet. I also want to be able to place it 30" or more above the cooktop height so I can see into the living room while cooking. I understand that an in-line blower and a silencer (do you use them both together, or one or the other?), would be helpful - as well as getting something that has more power than I need so I can run it on a lower setting. My plans so far are out of my budget range, so I need to find some places to economize - so price is a big consideration.

Comments (7)