SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Crazy FreeCycles

caroline94535
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I had taken several cuttings from my Christmas Cactus, rooted them, and potted them into a 6" pot for a friend. She had admired my large blooming plant and said, "Oh, I wish I had one!"

When I offered the now thriving new plant to her, she said she didn't have anywhere to keep it.

I can't hardly bring myself to throw away a plant. I was "stuck" with another large Christmas Cactus that I didn't have room for, plus four smaller pots of rooted cuttings.

I decided to list them on FreeCycle before tossing them.

You would not believe the numbers of frantic responses I received. "Oh yes! I need a Christmas Cactus." I gave the 6" pot full to the first responder; another person received two of the small rootings and a third person received the last two.

I reposted that the Christmas Cactus was taken but I am still receiving "I want the Christmas Cactus!" emails. Geesh! You'd think I was offering bags of gold bullion.

Two people set times to come by, and failed to show up twice.

The strangest response was from one woman who said she needed me to bring the plant to Grand Forks, about 40 miles one-way from my house, and drop it off for her father. She said he didn't have long to live and a Christmas Cactus would make his final days easier.

I answered her and said the plants were all gone. I was sorry for her father's condition and wished her the best. I did not tell her there was no plant in the world that would make dying more easy.

What's up with the high and frantic demand for the cheap, very easy to grow and propagate Christmas Cactus?

Comments (15)