SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ocwormgirl

EF or PE? Should I care? Rambling.

ocwormgirl
13 years ago

Hi All

New here but read through all the pages. Well skipped the euros and ancs since I have redworms.

I started 6 weeks ago with about a pound of worms I was gifted through FreeCycle. The nice woman I got them from was helpful and gave me quite a bit of instruction. I am glad though that I found this forum as now I know better that to do everything she was telling me.

She had a flowthrough that was wall to wall worms! I mean really crazy. 2/3 worms and 1/3 sludge. I asked her about worm tea (now I know the difference between avct and leachate) and she pointed to 3 gallons of black liquid. I was in awe and could not wait to get my little guys home to their prepared bin.

When I released them after their 30 minute non stressful drive they dove in and did not look back. I have yet to see a runner and have accidently interrupted a couple of "dates". They seem bigger and more active than when they got here. My bin (tote) is not nearly as wet as their last home. I can tell you she was successful with her composting but I don't think my bin would tolerate that much moisture. I am up to feeding about a pound a week even though it has been very cool here and the bin temp is 60ish degrees.

Upon inspection I can tell that I have a mix of EFs and PEs. I live in costal southern California. Hot is 80 and cold is 50. The temp rarely goes above or below those extreems (yea, I said extreem. you may make fun of me now) and if it does it does not do so for long.

I have a small garden and quite a bit of kitchen waste. I also have access to spent brewery grain and lots of horse manure. The local grocer has told me that I am welcome to any and all the green waste I want.

I am eager to have more worms. Nothing crazy but a couple of more pounds to get me going with some oomph. I plan on buying EFs.

My question since you have been nice enough to read this far is should I try not to comingle my herds when the new squrim arrives? The existing herd has been docile through a couple of good rains and no loud partys so I think they are good tenents. Should I try to keep a pure EF herd?

TIA

J

Comments (4)