SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappygrrlnj

Creamy white cabinets - how to coordinate wall color and ceiling color

Andi VeeBee
9 years ago

Hi all -

I am renovating my kitchen with Wellborn divinity white cabinets, leather jet mist on perimeter cabinets and Sear Pearl quartzite on the island (which is espresso, not white). My KD advised this shade of white vs their "glacier" white, because he felt the glacier was too stark looking in person. He told me if we keep all other finishes "cool" in tone, the cabinets will pop true white in person. So this leads to 2 questions:

1) What color should I paint the ceiling? The cabs go to the ceiling with crown molding (8 foot ceilings). If I paint the ceiling the usual "ceiling white", will it make the cabinets look obviously off-white? (my thought is yes) Should I paint it a very pale version of my wall color instead? Which leads to my next question...

1. I have been looking at light to medium grays with green or blue undertones (base don KD's advice to keep everything else in room cool), trying to determine which shades make my sample door read white when next to it (basically downplaying the yellow tones in the off white). It occurred to me that the cool paint might be having the opposite effect and making the yellow tones stand out more, like it if I put a piece of bright white computer paper next to my door, it looks really cream. So now I am thinking I should find a true neutral that is neither too cool or too warm, or maybe even something ever so slightly warm ( a greige?)

Can any color experts chime in??

Comments (7)