SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lathyrus

Help with dry goods drawers/storage?

9 years ago

For those of you bake daily and cook from scratch most of the time, where and how do you store your dry goods?

I'm testing out the in-progress kitchen and the new drawers, and frankly, I miss my ugly, space-hogging countertop canisters. Knowing I bake a lot, I planned several of my most accessible drawers to be for dry goods, and while that's working for spices, smaller canisters like baking power and small bags of less frequently used grains, it's not working for flours and sugars. I use them so often, I am making a mess in the drawers and nearby floor, and it adds an extra step.

We may be unusual in our needs, because we almost never eat out except when on vacation. And canned tomatoes and dried pasta is about as much prepared food as we do, unless we're too sick to cook (or during the worst of the kitchen reno, ugh!) We probably go through 5-7 lbs of flour a week, 2-4 lbs of other grains, more if you count oats, 2+ lbs various sugars, a couple lbs beans...

Pantry and open shelves are not complete, so maybe things will improve once I feel like everything has its place again...

If not, any leads on attractive, unobtrusive canisters that are easy to scoop out of, and, if a set, each canister easily holds 5 lbs+ flour...?

At any rate, I'd love to see pictures of others' bulk flour/sugar storage, especially you bakers!

Comments (16)