SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lcskaisgir

What would you do with this space??

Lisa
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

This has been an achilles heel for me since I have lived in this house (14 years!). We had our kitchen remodeled a little over a year ago and I haven't updated this little area yet in front of the fireplace that is part of the kitchen. Currently I have an 8' rug with two beigey/taupe chairs and an zebra fabric ottoman (and a painting that I detest). The rug is wool but is 14 years old and I'm not sure it goes in the space. I'm not sure WHAT goes in the space....it is not quite wide enough to put the two chairs facing the fireplace and I'm not even sure what colors of rug, furniture, etc should go there. Any ideas?

These things are staying: paint color, curtains, chandelier, kitchen table & chairs (which are two toned medium brown stain and black stain).

The walls are colonnade gray:

Curtains and chandelier:

Here is the kitchen:

Here is the rug that is there now that should probably be replaced, but I've always felt that oriental rugs blend into the background and become neutral:

P.S. I don't like things to be too matchy, matchy but I do like them to look cohesive.

Comments (112)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is another idea, keeping your boys in mind.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I like your second to the last photo with the living room chair, solo in the corner of the rug...but am thinking, what about putting the other living room chair (just for the visual, I know you won't use them) opposite it, in the diagonal corner with a small table either between or to the side between? I really like the round mirror on the fireplace, too.

• Related Discussions

What would you do with this space?

Q

Comments (5)
    I love the reading/coffee area idea. We already have a loft for the kiddos upstairs and I also have a desk nook area which is all I need :) I’m loving the idea of a cocktail/coffee room with a low sitting table and 4 chairs with some sort of wood cabinet with built in wine rack. I need to measure to make sure I have the space first lol thank you all!
    ...See More

OT- What would you do with this space?

Q

Comments (10)
    I had a spot much like that one after a tree died. I used it for as many different types of plants as possible. Spring bulbs, Varigated Iris (the sun coming through the leaves in spring is beautiful, sedum as a ground cover, and also the bulb Lycoris Radiata for early fall. In the center I put a statue of St. Francis. Here's the first picture with the Iris Pallida just having been divided: This is a later fall picture when the sedum turns color after a cold night and the new foliage of the Lycoris springs up to add greenery over the winter months: There's usually something blooming there except during the depths of summer (when I don't want to do any maintenance at all). As it is, all I do is deadhead the bulbs after they have passed and keep the Bermuda out of the ground cover. The basic idea is a largish focal point in the center, with whatever you choose surrounding it. You will have lots of fun with whatever you do I'm sure, but it is a good chance for you to incorporate all sorts of bulbs for spring/fall display....................Maryl
    ...See More

What would you do to this space - floors and walls specifically.

Q

Comments (30)
    You haven't given us much to go on regarding the use of the place. Is it a second home? Will you be renting it out as a vacation home? Devote budget to consisent flooring downstairs. I just read Patricia Colwell's observation--no vinyl flooring. I decided I agree. When you have natural materials like wood, vinyl just makes everything look cheap. Maybe others will weigh on on most compatible flooring, but it should all be the same--maybe tile? Real porcelain floor tile. (Might weigh too much for a house on stilts--we have so little to go on with the kind of question you asked.) Take a look at the flooring by doing "log cabin living room" to see what harmonizes well with wood. Yes, to tweedy berber rugs for upstairs. To start out, deep clean the wood panelled walls but don't paint anything but lower kitchen cabinets and wood walls/backsplash in kitchen. Whitewash rather than fully paint backsplash wood and lower cabinets--ivory or off-white. Remove top cabinets and replace with open pine shelves, particularly useful if this is a second home and possibly a future vacation rental. If those are wood countertops, then stain and seal them to harmonize with finish in adjacent areas. Change out hardware to something modern. Remove curtains. Are the photos from previous owner with all their furnishings? If so, then put your money into lighter furnishings suited to lake house. Go for this cozy feeling enhance with textured throws, covers, leather pieces, wood, great lighting. Mix of light slipcovers and leather furniture.
    ...See More

What would you do with this space?

Q

Comments (0)
    What would you do with this space (front foyer/hallway)? Need it more "adult" like, a simpler streamlined look/less cluttered and need proper storage (general and for shoes). Need a little space for hanging coats; seating is optional, not required. (Wall is 9 feet long, opposite the basement (door) and tiny utility closet (door). I'll post some pictures of ideas I've come up with - do any of these options work the best? if not, what are some other good ideas/options?
    ...See More
  • jimandanne_mi
    9 years ago

Of all the various setups that have been pictured, the one by aktillery9 with the muted pillows on your original chairs facing the kitchen with the muted rectangular ottoman that 2 could sit on with the lighter round mirror over the FP looks the most pleasing, comfortable, natural, and functional to me.

Although I like her rug, we have a rectangular one that extends into a walking area and it just doesn't work--it gets in the way and feels strange when walking through the area. In your case, I think kids and other people might repeatedly trip over/flip the corners of the rectangular rug. Can you cover your round ottoman with something more neutral, or do you have a table about the size of aktillery9's, or could you cover some boxes to see if her idea would work, but with your original round rug? I think you need a rug that is large enough for the space, but the rounded edges wouldn't be the problem in the walking area that a decent sized rectangular rug would be. Or try your #2 picture with her other changes and the round rug.

Anne

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like the upholstered bench and round mirror. jimandanne, you make a very good point about the rug. I don't know if I would like the round rug and rug mirror together. I happen to have a rectangular mirror that I threw up there...just trying to use things I have here to try and get ideas before I go out and buy stuff! What if I switch up the shapes from what aktillery did and do a rectangular mirror and round rug with a upholstered bench (used a bench from the mudroom to simulate an upholstered bench)? The mirror is not hung exactly right but I had to use existing screws in the wall while I'm just trying things out.

Here is a pic from earlier with rectangular rug (again, not this exact rug but the shape) and the bench.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is becoming a full time job!

• jlj48
    9 years ago

Joining in late. I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. I think the space needs a swivel chair that you love, maybe even one that rocks, and a small ottoman with a tray on it. This way one can sit and cozy up to the fireplace or swivel and visit with you in the kitchen. You have other chairs nearby, so only one is needed in this small space. With a small ottoman, you can stretch out and put your feet on it or use the tray to hold a cup of coffee. JMHO. Beautiful Home, btw.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So many good possibilities from everyone. And I'm exploring all of them...believe me if you knew how much moving around and shopping I've been doing!! If I used a swivel chair, which I love the idea of btw, what shape/color rug and what color chair?? Maybe I could downsize to a smaller round rug, angle the chair toward the fireplace with a smaller ottoman, and do a round mirror??

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Agree with jlj48. And, a smaller rug to avoid safety issues as mentioned above.

• User
    9 years ago

I really like this last picture you posted. Colors and shapes work well together. The rug could be a tad smaller but other than that I really like it.

• gramarows
    9 years ago

I know no one apparently liked my idea, but I still do - using a large, comfy, upholstered swivel rolling chair for the DESK area, maybe with a matching ottoman by the fireplace. This would leave the fireplace area relatively open and uncluttered, and not block the view of the fp.

• lolauren
    9 years ago

I haven't commented, but I keep coming back to this thread to view the new photos. :)

I don't like the round rug in either area. Since your spaces encroach on each other, it might make sense to not have a rug define one space or the other. To me, no rug better hides the fact that the spaces are tight.

Is there enough room for a small settee facing the fireplace? All the chairs and various iterations above look off to me. If you have the chairs together side-by-side, can they fit facing the fireplace? (That would be a mock settee, right?)

• amykath
    9 years ago

lck, do you like any one of these arrangements more than another? I would go with what is comfortable and most useable.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Or maybe a big rug one that reaches under dining area over past FP. Put the two tufted chairs together like a bench facing the dining area perpendicular to the FP. The backs then define a walkway past the desk. Use a rectangular bench in front as a table ( added seating).

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Liked the look of the 2 chairs pushed together to give the feeling of a setee. Perhaps you could find one that's comfortable. I think you have chair overload (7 chairs) in that small space as it stands now.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Love everything about your home except those 2 chairs. No matter where you put them or what you put with them, to me, they just look like you moved 2 chairs away from the dining table while you vacuumed and forgot to put them back.

The only ideas that seem to work (IMHO) are leaving it empty or a rectangular upholstered bench of some sort (no rug, no chairs).

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Aktillery, I like several of them but they all have their downfalls...there is no "perfect". I would like to try a couple other things but that will require more shopping...which I'm not sure I will have time for over the weekend. But that's probably for the best because I'm a little burned out! I would like to pick up an upholstered bench/ottoman and try different scenarios with it and also a bigger chair and a swivel chair and try them too. Oh and a round mirror!
    Gramarows, I don't dislike your idea at all. I just don't have a chair like that already in my home that I could try out. I'm really trying to try everyone's ideas because something is bound to work!
    Daisychain, I know exactly what you mean about the chairs. I really want to be able to walk in the room and feel like everything belongs.
  • k9arlene
    9 years ago

Check out Pier One. on line. They have lots of settees. I think it would be preferable to a bench for the comfort factor.

• Yayagal
    9 years ago

I think two chairs could work if they had lower backs and were a darker shade with the lighter rug. The darkness of the chairs would minimize the size a bit. Throw a piece of black or brown over the chairs and try it first, you may be surprised.

• Yayagal
    9 years ago

Another thought, how about substituting the two fireplace chairs with two of your dining room chairs. See how an open chair looks in front of the mantle.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I still like it best with nothing in front of the FP :-) But you have been working so hard on this!

I did have one more idea-- how about a couple little poufs? Put them up close to the FP, on either side, when they're not being used. Your kids would love them.

Moroccan Ottoman (pouf) · More Info

West 14th Avenue · More Info

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Is there any breaking point in the room that would allow you to carpet? The wood is gorgeous, but seems like it needs rugs for warmth. When you do the two rugs, it makes the room feel chopped up and the rug edges/doorways become an issue. I think carpeting in something modern and low would unify the room. (If that isn't possible, maybe try a large enough rug that it would cover both areas.) Then I would put a love seat parallel to desk area facing dining table with an ottoman in front that would double as seating and coffee table. ( A love seat that curved on both ends would add more interest.) Then get a colorful print/painting for over fireplace -maybe even consider a mantle.

• gwlake
    9 years ago

This is a fun thread! I do not care for any rug in the room My favorite is the two chairs pushed together and placed at an angle. I also liked the chairs in front of the window. If this was my house I would have the chandelier moved to the right and place the table underneath it Make it an eat in kitchen vs a hearth room

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

That is what I would do also, ourgeorgiahouse, make that space a larger dining area. With the desk to the far right and a dining area to the left that room is doing double duty as it is. Why isn't that enough? I have been debating if I would want the door way on the left closed off even. To me that space is asking to be a dining room. The doors make it a hallway, so I understand your challenge. Is the fireplace on both sides? To really fix the issue I would want the fireplace in the room behind it.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Ourgeorgiahouse, the photo with the chairs pushed together at an angle was one of my favorites as well.

• oddsocks
    9 years ago

Could a folding screen of some sort be used to block off the doorway by the dining table, without actually having to permanently close it off? Reducing the number of walkways may give a lot more options for furniture placement.

• Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

Because you just really need one more opinion. Lol. I would close off the doorway nearest the desk. Then you would be able to truly fit two chairs into the space.

If that's not possible, I would try one bigger chair with a small stool as a place to set a drink or for a kid to perch. I think I would have that chair face away from the fireplace. That arrangement might also for a pouf as pictured above, giving a second place for a kid to perch.

• User
    9 years ago

I haven't read any of the replies so apologies if this has already been suggested.....I think the round rugs are completely wrong for the space. Instead of defining areas of use, they seem to restrict use to two small dots on the floor, so I would start by swapping out both round rugs for larger rectangular ones, perhaps a square rug in the fireplace area.

• jimandanne_mi
    9 years ago

I've spent 7 years trying to figure out what to do with my living room, so I can definitely appreciate what you're going through in moving all of your pieces around, photographing them for us, and taking the time to respond here. So, just some more food for thought--and you don't need to respond to it all!

If you've given us the measurements of the room, I've missed them. We have a sense of the size of the room, but it might help to have specific numbers. What is the measurement from the front edge of the desk to the door wall in the bay window? What is the measurement from the fireplace to the edge of the kitchen island? Is the fireplace 5' wide from doorway to doorway? How wide is each doorway next to the FP?

Even though eliminating the doorway on the left might make sense for THIS room, I can see why your DH doesn't want to do it. It would make the family room even more of a dead end room, and circulation for that room--especially when entertaining--would be more difficult.

I would think for noise reduction, visual softness, balance, and to anchor whatever furniture you finally decide to put there, some kind of rug should be between the island and the fireplace at the least. If the round rug has been there for a while and has not created a problem, then the fact that it encroaches does not visually bother me, and it seems to me that if it were much smaller, that central space would look like an afterthought. You're the only one who can see the real effect of the various rug location suggestions. You could try having a rectangular rug with it encroaching into the walking spaces for several days/weeks and see how it works out. To me, if the rug is only as wide as the FP, the whole arrangement looks shoe-horned in, but maybe that's just the angle of the picture.

The reason I like the round mirror is that you already have the rectangular fireplace and 2 doorways--it's a nice change on that wall. In your original pictures, your FP picture had 3 round flowers in it. I think the bigger problem is the pattern and size of the ottoman, and the bold pattern on the 2 pillows that to me don't go with the chairs and rug.

You've waited 14 years already, so experimenting with the various layouts with mostly what you have around the house for a while longer seems like it might get you the best result.

The furniture and rugs are obviously light enough to move so that you could spend a few days/weeks with chairs facing the kitchen with the rectangular table in front of them. Then a while with them angled, or facing the bay window. Then when it's FP weather have them face the fireplace. While you're doing this, see when they are used most, are you wishing you had only one larger comfy chair and (more subdued!) ottoman and side table and would you, DH, or guests relax in it? Do you want the comfort of higher backed chairs, or visually do you really want ones with lower backs? (I had 2 lower backed chairs in my LR for this reason for years, and if anyone sat for a very long time in them, it was not comfortable. I made sure to get higher backed chairs when we moved.) Try different ottoman/table shapes, heights, and widths.

I know you'd like to get this done with, but it's a difficult space to work with. You've certainly gotten lots of good suggestions from everyone, so eliminate them one at a time, and focus on the few that are left, and over time you will arrive at what's best for you.

Anne

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm sorry that I didn't read all the comments. I kept thinking, what is the purpose of that space? Who would really sit there in between two walkways? It just seems like a weird place to relax, more a place to perch if every other seat is taken. Once Tibbrix mentioned having nothing there, it emboldened me to chime in.

You have such a fantastic house. I would take out the chairs and ottoman and put a nice square rug there. Maybe something else will emerge, but in between two walkways, I just wouldn't want to sit there at all, not with a table next to a window available.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Linelle, OP stated that this space is used for sitting.
    I have to say I like the rectangular rug and rectangular bench or padded ottoman like the last picture.

Swivel chairs might be nice; however, this might be a stupid suggestion: How about you just leave the last arrangement and see what people who are sitting there do, e.g. do they move the chairs? Do they sit on the bench? Or maybe nobody sits there anymore.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I was curious, is that your only dining space? Do you use it a lot?

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh boy! Well I'm out and about today and tomorrow at my son's basketball tournament and in between games I'm shopping for rugs, mirrors, etc! So I don't have time to address everyone's posts at the moment but, in response to aktillery, this is just the kitchen table. I have a dining room on the other side of the kitchen. If we all sit down to dinner during the week we sit at the kitchen table. However with sports it doesn't happen every single night like it did when the kids were little (my oldest turns 15 in a couple weeks and my youngest will be 12 soon). Some nights we are all eating at different times and usually sit at the island. I will try to get some measurements as soon as I get a chance.
  • Bunny
    9 years ago

nosoccermom, you are right and I knew that, but I guess I was being a smartass. Of course it's for sitting, because there are chairs there. I should have asked, when do you sit there, and why would you sit there? Yes, there's a fireplace and that makes it a cozy spot.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Here is a real radical idea. I saw it on "Fixer Upper" what would happen if you removed the wall around the fireplace completely! That would make this room flow into the living room. I don't suppose you need a kitchen expansion...you could increase the eating area at the island and eliminate the table and chairs. Bottom line what makes sense is for you to create a space that is used.

• binkerman
    9 years ago

SO many good ideas to consider here! The bottom line is this room is YOURS, and YOU must love it. Having said that, I think the room is prettiest with the sitting area in front of the windows, and the kitchen table in front of the fireplace. The scale of the furniture & the floor space available in each area is better balanced, with nothing in the path of the doorway. Although not your first choice, consider keeping it along with the other great ideas given.

While reading posts and thinking, I noticed a floor protector in front of the windows beside the kitchen table and realized "they" aren't 2 windows, but are one sliding door!! I find no reference to it in previous posts, so maybe other people are unaware as well. It makes quite a difference in the amount of available space, and limits what & where pieces are placed. For the kitchen table to remain, double the space that needs to be kept free & clear - enough room to pull out chairs to sit, AND for passage in & out the door.

1. Do you have another entry/exit door leading to that outdoor space?

If no, just make sure to allow extra room, or avoid placement of anything in front of the door.

If yes, suggestions: Use the other door as the "only" path in & out, remove the floor protector, replace the sliding door with regular windows, then use as much of the space in front of the windows as possible. If replacing the door is not an option, use the space as though it has been. This will either give the illusion of regular windows, or at least make it clear the door is not to be used. Even block the door with something like a long console table behind your 2 chairs, or a love seat.

2. Is there a third way into the living area on the other side of the fireplace?

That determines - as jimandanne_mi pointed out - the wisdom of closing up one of the doorways we see, and whether or not more placement possibilities are opened up - closing up a doorway being among them :)

No doubt you have a budget that we didn't have to consider, and by which
    I was happy not to be constrained. Ideas flow so easily when, "what's
    that going to cost" doesn't put up road blocks. With that in mind:

3. Will you consider enclosing the fireplace on the kitchen side to transform it into another wall?

My perception is you're reluctantly keeping the fireplace visible from the kitchen. The fireplace is rarely used, you want people sitting there turned toward you in the kitchen, none of the photos you shared are that perfect arrangement you're
    looking for, and most of them show the chairs turned away
    from the fireplace. So why have
    it there at all? You'll have more usable space, with the option to put seating flush against or very close to the new wall, facing the kitchen. Maybe a love seat and ottoman? The front of the fireplace appears flat - no mantle to remove - and the marble insert on the floor can be removed, and new floor boards feathered in to seamlessly incorporate the area with the rest of the floor. You can also hide it with furniture and a rug, or just leave it in place. Pull your seating out enough to lean a really big, tall mirror on the marble and against the wall. No wood floor damaged by heavy mirror, looks like you planned it, and the mirror will remarkably open up the room. It really would be quite beautiful with the kitchen table & chairs placed and centered in front of it :) Can't enclose the fireplace? In a previous post someone suggested a standing screen to hide a doorway. Instead, use a screen to hide the fireplace. Although placing seating flush against it isn't an option, the pieces could be as close as if you used the leaning mirror idea.

Troubleshoot the room like you do when an unexpected problem arises. Breath, think about all possible options. Sit and stand in different areas in the room. Walk around, in and out the doors....change
    this, move that, live with changes for a few days. Don't cross off your list ideas you love but which seem out of your reach. Use your imagination, "think outside the box", combine ideas, keep looking at houzz, Pinterest, etc. "Google" different ideas and questions. Seriously. I promise other people have the same wishes and ideas, which at least one of them has found a way to do beautifully - often less expensively.

• Kelly Fumarola
    9 years ago

I really like arrangement in the 3rd photo down on Friday at 8:16am. Maybe switch out the chair to a comfier one with ottoman or even a chaise. Looks like you could curl up in front of a fire with a good book and a glass of wine/cup of tea. The ones with the two chairs by the fireplace look too staged and impractical, imho.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Sorry, Linelle, now it's me to say, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass.
    I meant that OP had stated somewhere in the thread that family members and visitors are actually sitting/lounging there.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

• steph2000
    9 years ago

I dunno...this idea hasn't gotten much traction, but I actually liked the larger bench/ottoman things where people could sit facing the kitchen or the fireplace - without taking up real estate in the traffic zones. (Like the gold one with the center back rest that you posted.) They seem rather ideal for the space and comfy enough to do the job.

A backless bench would be my second fav, as posted above me. People can perch there, but they probably won't loiter much - except if crowded space at a get-together requires it.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

One other thought...you have so much black in that area with the fp surround, the black wall art, black and white ottoman, and black and white pillows... It draws too much attention to the area emphasizing its smallness. Whatever you do finally decide on, make it a light color.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I really like your original setup, but I like the two LOWER chairs facing the kitchen table (last picture last Friday 8:16) I like the idea of the ottoman, just not the fabric you have on it now, or maybe it is too large. I think the chairs look fine there and are functional (open to the table and kitchen and fireplace). I am not fond of the two tall arm less chairs. I like the round mirror. It brightens up the space. I too like the kitchen table near the window.

Since this is a small area, you could try a smaller round rug. Big enough to fit the front legs of the chairs on. Maybe that would be enough to bring the area together.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am going to revisit this tomorrow hopefully. This is what I know for sure (not much!): I am not closing off any doorways, I don't want the table in front of the fireplace, I want a round mirror, I want some sort of rug, I do not want two chairs placed at the fireplace facing the kitchen (it's too scrunched looking), I can't have a zebra print ottoman! I bought a swivel chair today just to see how it would work but it's still in the car and I'm in bed! I'm going to try it angled toward the fireplace with some sort of ottoman and small table. Unfortunately it's black leather because they only had red or black and I would like to keep the space light I think.
  • lalalalane
    9 years ago

There are so many fabulous ideas here! My thought is the area needs some softness and texture so a rug would be great - but I'd lean toward a more organic shape like a cow skin or flokati (something that doesn't have such hard edges to it). I think the chairs need to be more inviting and less skimpy, like maybe cozy wingbacks (or just one wingback and an ottoman if space is an issue) they could angled a bit so they don't block too much of the fireplace. I think it could be a fabulous place to hang with those making dinner (just like your guests did) but maybe everything a bit more relaxed and inviting -

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First of all...ignore the rectangular mirror that is not hung at the right height (just seeing what I think about the color of the frame on the wall). Here is the swivel chair and ottoman. This chair is SUPER comfy and I like that it has a lower back. A chair like this could work with a smaller ottoman. Never mind the color, but I do kind of like this set up. Now, I hope to find one in a different color, a different ottoman, and different rug, and a round mirror, lol.

jimandanne, you got it right when you mention that closing off one of the doorways will effect the family room as well as the kitchen. Besides, we just remodeled our kitchen last year and I am not looking to do anymore construction to the room right now. Plus I like that it is more open to the family room with both doorways. I'm in agreement that I would like to find a smaller round rug (maybe 6' instead of the 8' one that is there).

Room dimensions: doorways next to fireplace are each 36" and fireplace is 5'. From desk to doorwall is 18'6" and from island to fireplace is 12'3". And yes, it is a two sided fireplace.

binkerman, I'm not sure what you mean when you said you see a floor protector? I'm thinking you see some of the rugs I was trying rolled up over by the table/chairs.

jlc, I really like the poufs! That is a possibility and I will have my eyes open for those.

yayagal, what do you think with the darker chair?

k9arlene, I like the bench and ottoman, those could look good with no chairs.

steph2000, I like that big square ottoman thing that I posted a pic of too, but I have never seen one in person anywhere.

Thanks everyone!!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

badgergal, where did you find the green two sided bench thingy-ma-jiggy? That is intriguing.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

grandinroad has these...

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

I'm liking the new set up with the swivel chair with smaller ottoman. I don't care for the grandinroad chair with wooden legs because you already have so much wood in the area. I prefer the style of the black one you have there now. Pier One has ones that look like your black one but in beige. Looks like you're making good progress.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

Just for fun, I did a quick bit of googling for "ottoman bench with center backrest" to see if I'd get hits. This came up right away. $390 with the backrest, a little less without http://www.eventaccents.com/products-page/furniture/white-leatherette-ottoman-with-backrest/