SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fajita123

Design help for blank slate yard

fajita123
9 years ago

Hello all, I have a new build home located in Saskatchewan, Canada that I'm trying to plan for landscaping this spring. I have some experience in doing the work, but not so much in planning. I've made some sketchup plans, having issues downloading extensions right now so I'm not showing any details for vegetation.

Sketchup Plans

Notes:

• Light grey - exposed aggregate driveway/walkway (existing)
  • Light brown - crushed rock
  • Grey - mulch (trees/shrubs/etc not shown yet)
  • Brown - garden
  • Blue/grey - concrete patio
  • Green - grass

The front of the house faces due east. We have strong winds alternating NW/SE, so I'm planning some trees for shelter in either corner of the back yard and possibly some in the SW corner for afternoon shade. Something that can quickly establish would be nice (Swedish Aspen?)

I'd like one tree in the front yard (possibly a Mountain Ash ?) but need to maintain access to the sideyard for RV/boat storage.

The deck is existing 16x12', about 4' above grade. It was installed last fall. Other than that, there is nothing but black topsoil.

Any advice on layout? I am sure to have more specific questions once I dig into this a little deeper.

Key wants for the space:

• Add concrete patio to south of deck for BBQ, outdoor fireplace/firepit and general seating.
  • Add storage shed on north side of house max 150 SF
  • Garden space (raised?)
  • Sufficient open grass for two young kids
  • Automatic sprinkler system for everything
  • Access to north side yard for storage (boat/RV/trailer/etc)

Dimensions of backyard are 45' depth from house to future back fence, 55' width of total yard, 14'6" north sideyard width, 4' south sideyard width, 48' depth from front curb to north sideyard fence.

Comments (19)