SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Freezing food - ideas and techniques

bbstx
9 years ago

Mom has always been good at cooking her own meals and eating a balanced diet. She is 87 and developing some health issues which sap her energy. She despises commercially prepared frozen dinners. I am trying to come up with some things I can cook for her in one or two meal sizes. But more than that, I'm trying to figure out how to freeze the food so that she will not have to return dishes to me. She is only an hour and a half away, but she is not going to want to have a stack of my dishes setting around, and I'm not going to want to be without my dishes for a week or so at a time.

Could you, please,

1. suggest dishes that will freeze and reheat well? I need entrees, sweets, breakfast, everything.

2. products or techniques for freezing and reheating food - preferably stovetop or in the oven? She has a microwave but rarely uses it (and is a bit skeptical about the safety of using a microwave) .

King Arthur Flour has cute little individual pie pans, but from the reviews, they are tiny. I keep Glad OvenWare around for taking food to friends, but for Mom, I need something smaller than 9x12 or 9x9, and I can't find Glad Oven Ware in smaller sizes.

I need an alternative to foil pans. In my experience, acidic foods will eat through them. Mom loves Italian dishes, so there will be lots of things with tomatoes.

Comments (13)