SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wowibrug

Ideas for kitchen/dining/mudroom design from scratch!

wowibrug
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

We are planning an addition to our home and have learned the hard way that we need to have a very specific plan prepared in order to have fruitful discussions with potential contractors and architects.

We can basically add a 22' 6" x ?? rectangle on the back of our house...so it's a clean slate. I'm up for all ideas! The width of the addition, 22' 6", is dictated by the current lot layout and our town's setback requirements. We have flexibility in the length of the addition, but of course have budget considerations. If we could fit everything into a smaller footprint than I have shown below, that would be fine.

The kitchen is the most important part of the addition, so I am starting with the first floor layout. We will also be remodeling the second floor (adding a master suite) and building a new detached garage. We do have a small finished basement.

We want to add a large kitchen, mud room, dining room, powder room and wet bar (we don't need actual bar seating, just a place DH can make drinks and store his impressive collection of alcohol). Breakfast nook optional. Planning a 2nd floor laundry but would like space for a stackable or ventless washer/dryer on the first floor to take care of cleaning cloths, outdoor clothes, etc. Shallow storage works better for my organizational style than deep storage.

We have various house guests staying with us about 20% of the time. We entertain frequently, from 8 or so guests every couple of weeks to 50+/- guests once a year. We are a family of two adults and an elementary-aged child with the possibility of adding a second child sometime in the next year or two. We are planning to stay in this home forever but want to be wise about remodeling in the unlikely event we ever need to sell.

I enjoy cooking and have a lot of cooking/baking gear. I make meals from scratch most nights. I want a big kitchen with plenty of space for at least two people to work. That said, the completely open kitchen plan common in most modern homes is not a good fit for us. I would like the flexibility of having the kitchen somewhat open, or be able to close it off to keep people out. In my initial floor plan, I have added pocket doors and a passthrough to have the open/close flexibility.

Efficiency is important to us. For example, when we bring stuff into the house--groceries, shopping, shoes, skates, whatever--we would like it to have the shortest possible path to its home.

I am a longtime lurker on GW, and infrequent poster, so I don't quite understand how this Houzz transition is working in terms of posting pictures. I will post our current floorplan and my most recent idea using Houzz's photo posting tool as well as link to Photobucket so you can see the larger version.

Thank you so much for your fresh perspective!

Current floorplan (http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag60/thswowi/current_zps7cawnbxz.png):

Addition idea (http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag60/thswowi/addition%20idea_zpst8sndd8p.png):

Comments (10)