SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

The lighting I want does not seem to exist - Help!

eleena
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello everybody!

This lighting has been one of the things holding me back from finishing the remodel that was started two years ago. I have finally found the backsplash, so I need to finish this project or we will all go crazy after two years of living with an unfinished kitchen. :-)

When we bought the house, the kitchen had two of those cheap 1'x4' flush mount fluorescent fixtures, another fluorescent light over the sink and a chandelier in the breakfast area (which we replaced with a pendant light). The breakfast nook (which part of the room and separated from the kitchen only by a peninsula) clearly did not have enough lighting plus the position of the pendant was too restrictive in terms of furniture placement.

The fluorescent fixtures in the kitchen had obvious problems like flickering, buzzing, and bright cold light, but seemed to produce sufficient lighting.

In this remodel, I wanted to have a nicely lit kitchen but the problem is that I am not a fan of can lighting. We did put 4 6" cans in the breakfast area but I definitely don't want them anywhere near the kitchen cabinets.

I have looked at (literally) hundreds of kitchens on Houzz and, unless the ceiling was much higher than cabinet tops, I could always see the cone-shaped effect on the cabinets. My sparky said that it was unavoidable.

The kitchen is 19' x 11' and is galley-like with 7' between the sink counter/peninsula and the cooktop counter, which is flanked by all the tall cabinets.

I will have pendants or cans over the peninsula and sink. I was thinking of putting LED panels in the middle of the kitchen for general lighting. However, the vast majority of them are 4500K and higher but I want warm light. I have found only two such LED panels (by the same manufacturer, they differ only in size) but I am afraid they may look too utilitarian.

[https://www.houzz.com/products/45-watt-1x4-warm-white-light-2800-3200k-led-panel-light-office-kitchen-prvw-vr~22613530[(https://www.houzz.com/products/45-watt-1x4-warm-white-light-2800-3200k-led-panel-light-office-kitchen-prvw-vr~22613530)

http://www.amazon.com/White-2800-3200k-Office-kitchen-Overhead/dp/B00OM6ELYE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1425764731&sr=8-9&keywords=warm+light+led+panel+enpower

If you remember plllog's kitchen, I really like her solution but it wouldn't look right in my kitchen (plus, I live "in the middle of nowhere" and I don't think I can find a good lighting expert here).

Is there anything else I could do? I would appreciate any thoughts.

BTW, I have been on this forum since 2007, but because I had a different user name on Houzz and wanted to keep it separate, I had to re-register in order to be able to display my previous GW screen name, so my profile would show that registered only today, sorry. :-)

ETA: the kitchen is transitional - a little bit more on the contemporary side but "played down" by accessories because the house is transitional and more on the traditional side.

Comments (5)