SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
byrdmando

More worm factory questions.

byrdmando
9 years ago

First of all, thank you for all the help this forum has given me in the past. I have found that there is much more to vermicomposting that I ever imagined. That said, here are a couple of questions...

I started my worm factory back in July 2014 and I feel it has been pretty successful so far. I am on my fourth tray and have harvested about 4 gallons of compost.

I have searched the forums and cant find an answer...My worm factory has maybe 50-100 worms on the underside of the lid. It seems to be like this nearly all the time. I look at them once a day and usually put them back in the bedding but they crawl right back up. Now, the bin is full of worms also, and they dont appear to running from anything as all I have ever fed is vegetable scraps but mainly banana peels (my kids eat lots of bananas). What gives? Any ideas? Should I be concerned?

I also have a question about baby worms...I found a source online that said the little pieces of "dirt" on top of the lid are actually baby worms. I was under the impression that baby worms only hatched from the little orange eggs. What could she be possibly talking about? I have seen very immature worms on the lid which makes me believe she might be on to something.

Thanks for the help.

Byrdmando

Coleman Falls, Va.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor