SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aubrey_curtis

Help with floor height difference between kitchen and other rooms

Aubrey Curtis
9 years ago

So, I've never really done home renovations before, but we recently purchased an "as is" home that needed a kitchen renovation. The flooring was rotted down to the subfloor. My husband and his father ripped the whole thing out down to the crawlspace / joists and re-built it. Here's where the problem comes in...

They realized, during this project, that the floor had been very badly constructed previously, with materials used in a sort of patchwork to repeatedly half-repair damage from an ongoing leak. As my husband and his father were reconstructing the subfloor, they made the call to use thicker plywood, which they determined was what should have been done to begin with (when the previous owners repaired the floor). The problem now is that with only the subfloor down at this stage, the kitchen is the same height as the adjacent dining room and hallway, which have hardwood floors.

This means that no matter what we add to the kitchen floor, the height will be significantly different (higher) than adjoining rooms. What's stressing me out the most about this is that I had begun designing the rest of the kitchen to go with a sort of natural / rustic look that involved using natural stone to tile the kitchen.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted our floors to look like:

I really want to use natural stone, but after going to the stone yard and seeing what they offered, we are having a hard time finding what we want under 1" thick, which would surely make the kitchen at least 1 1/2" higher than the hall and dining room, after everything is complete, if we were to proceed.

That seems like a huge difference that I'm not sure how to get around.

Any suggestions? Has anyone dealt with something like this, and how did you resolve it? If there was a way to get stone like what is pictured above in 1/2", that might be better, but I'm still really worried about even a 1" height difference... but I don't know if anything can be done about it at this point.

Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you!!

Comments (16)