SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

Spring break 2016; Pacific NW Peeps

MtnRdRedux
9 years ago

There was a time, long long ago, when I was more of a free spirit (honest) and could make decisions more spur of the moment (ok, I was never exactly spur of the moment), but when you have a brood and your brood is synchronized with, seemingly, half the spawn of industrialized North America, you have to plan your vacations very carefully around the school calendar. In particular, the most popular ski-in-ski-out resorts are often sold out 8-9 months in advance around Pres. week and spring break.

And so... I am planning Spring break 2016.

First, skiing; this part is a given and it must be ski-in-ski-out and West. We have done Park City, Beaver Creek and Vail, Jackson Hole and Whistler. I was thinking about Tahoe? Jet Blue just added a flight from NYC. That'd be about 5 days out of 14.

Then, my kids have never seen some PNW cities I think are worth visiting (namely Seattle, which I've been to many times, and Portland, which I have never really seen (one meeting, in and out once). Is it a total waste to see those places at that time of year? We are talking the last 2 weeks of March. Id like them to see those cities to round out our US travels, but OTOH I don't want to use up summer vacation (when we have a lot of claims on our time, including our beachhouse, summer camp, and a few upcoming destinations that I will only do in summer).

Would you do PNW in end March? If not, what else would you do to round out the 2 weeks if you started in Tahoe? Pop down to Los Cabos? IDK

Comments (29)