SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22021452

Would you give this to the architect - take 2?

User
9 years ago

I posted a floor plan last week to get input before giving it to our architect. I got mostly negative feedback, but the main consideration was that it would be expensive to build that type of house compared to a more square one, so I scrapped that version.

I've been working on this one to take into account feedback I received then. I would appreciate any feedback that you have on this one. Please keep in mind that at this point, I'm just trying to position the rooms. This doesn't take into account walls, still needs more doors and closets, doesn't have bookshelves yet, etc. North is to the top of the drawing.

The background is that we live on 140 acres in southern Missouri and intend to build on a hill on the west side of our property. The views will be to the east and we'll want that southern sun to warm us up in winter. We've hired an architect and they gave four preliminary proposals (really just to get a shape to the house, not details yet) but none were quite "it" for us and none had an attached garage (which we realize we want, especially right now while we're dealing with snow and mud). I haven't drawn the outside spaces yet, but we'll want a deck or patio on the southeast corner. The driveway will approach from the southeast and wind around the house to the corner-facing garage on the northwest side. Guest parking will be south of the house.

By the way, I tried the recommended software to design this online, but after an hour of putting it together, random triangles popped up. I obviously did something wrong. I decided to just go back to graph paper for now, and leave the drafting to the architects.

Comments (17)