SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
statgeek

Architect oversight--what would you do?

statgeek
13 years ago

It's the weekend before demolition will start for our kitchen remodel and I'm cleaning out the laundry room because it's going to be reoriented. The laundry room currently has 2 doorways--one is 31 inches wide and the other is 24 inches wide. The wider doorway opens into the kitchen. The architect's design calls for this to be replaced by a wall because I wanted more of a U shaped kitchen. After removing all the miscellaneous stuff from the laundry room, I see that obviously the washer and dryer are wider than the doorway that will remain. And not by a little. The washer and dryer are each 27 inches wide! Even without measuring it's obvious to me that there is no way those two appliances will fit through that small doorway. I look at the architect's plans and I see that he has drawn this situation correctly. But we never talked about this and he never mentioned it or the need to widen that doorway. He's been communicating with us for months on this plan. He's developed demolition documents and building documents. There isn't enough wall currently present around this small doorway to just widen it. Widening that small doorway would require building a small wall that juts into our master bedroom. But that wouldn't fit with the rest of our bedroom. My husband and I are thinking we should call it quits with this architect and just update the cabinets and countertop in our galley kitchen. I'm pretty disgusted! How would you handle this situation?

Comments (27)