SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clkw

If you had space for a second island, would you do it?

clkw
14 years ago

Our situation:

Our main living area is an open floor plan with a kitchen, dining room and living room. Once the first island is in (aprox 10x4), there will still be a very large space until you get to the furniture (land is cheap so everything really is bigger in TX :) After seeing WillowDecor's post yesterday of a gorgeous kitchen with a second island, it gave us that idea to help fill up the space (thanks willowdecor!!!) http://willowdecor.blogspot.com/2010/01/exquisite-french-manor-in-utah.html . I have a quirky excellent use for it but I'm mostly interested in designing the house for resale, so I could always just put in a moveable table for my own needs. Do you think a second island is something truly desirable or would your like the empty space to add more furniture. There will be seating at the first island which will have a sink. So,

would you rather have the option of seating at a non-prep island (which means I'd need to design it with an overhang)

or have it as an entertaining space (buffets/drinks whatever)

or have it as a beautiful barrier so you don't see the kitchen and backs of chairs from the living room (as pictured in willowdecor's blog)

or having it look like a cool table with some character (I love that look but have to be careful because our house is contemporary, although I'm trying to warm it up)

or having a second island is useless when you already have one big one so you think it would be a negative.

or, having two islands will make it look like a grand kitchen which will help resale

This is not a neighborhood with young families so probably only have to keep visiting grandchildren in mind. Any preliminary input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a layout of the space from the architect but I have a mac and haven't figured out how to post it yet. I will try to figure that out asap because I'm eager to get your invaluable opinions.

Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (15)