SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Would you take offense if you received this note from a neighbor?

User
14 years ago

Our neighbor has a beagle and a new puppy. The beagle especially barks pretty much non-stop, and both dogs appear to have been left on their own in the backyard over the weekend. (They do have food and water - I checked.) We don't know this neighbor well at all, and have been unable to talk face-to-face with him about this issue because he is either gone much of the time or keeps different hours than we do and we just rarely see him. However, the dog barking has become a real nuisance, and we just aren't sure what to do. I am thinking of dropping this note in his mail slot. Please let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions for making it kinder/gentler or more direct, I'd appreciate it.

Hi *****,

It looks like you may have been away from home for the past few days, so we wanted to leave this note for you to let you know that your dogs have been barking quite a bit. The older pup especially barked for much of the weekend (when I was home to hear it) and [DH] said she continued yesterday and today. I walked over to your fence last night and tried to give both dogs a treat (they didnÂt seem hungry at all though, and wouldnÂt take the treat  in fact, the little one just wanted to play), and I tried to get the older one to settle down from barking.

I was thinking that maybe if you let us know their names, we might be able to talk to them and calm them down if they get worked up. If there is anything else that you think of that we could do to calm them down, will you let us know? They are such cute dogs, and they just seem to have been bored or lonely since youÂve been away.

We wanted to make you aware of the barking before any of the other neighbors possibly decided to call the city and report it. We realize that barking is just what dogs do  but others in the area might not be so understanding.

Let us know if we can help!

Comments (28)