SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martianpictures

Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.

martianpictures
9 years ago

Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has experience growing milkweed from seeds in Central Florida.

The past 2 years, I purchased milkweed plants (both from Lowe's and a local nursery) and tried to grow them in my backyard. Most of them died after a few months and the ones that survived did not thrive. They get a lot of sun, I made sure they were watered well (maybe too much?), I fertilized them... all to no avail.

I decided to try growing some from seeds this year. I purchased a packet of Asclepias tuberosa seeds from FloridaWildflowers.com. I've been reading articles about planting seeds, and many of them suggest vernalization (putting the seeds in vermiculite and keeping them in the refrigerator for at least 30 days), but I can't find any info on whether or not I should do that in our warmer climate here. Is that only necessary in parts of the country where it's likely to get very cold for several months? I feel like I'm already late getting these seeds in the ground, but I don't know if I should do this or not.

Anyone have any experience with this? Tips or advice? Ideas on what I did wrong with my previous attempts? I really want to feed the Monarchs, but I can't figure out why it isn't working.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County