SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gchmom

how to deal with delays

lmgch
9 years ago

our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered the first week in March. at the end of the week before last, the cabinet guy *mentioned* to my husband that it might be a "few days behind...more like the second week."

we selected this cabinet company on our own with the help of our KD, not through our GC. So we've been running things directly with them and keeping the GC in the loop.

the cabinet guy is super nice. truly a really nice guy. and this is from all i've read and seen, an actual legitimate company - meaning it's not just this one cabinet guy making sales and some other guy building the cabs. it's multiple people working there. yet it is small and family owned.

cabinet guy has run into health issues with a family member. it's terrible. it's awful. it's sad and just totally not fair. but it's also (God help me, I am sure I sound awful)...it's also still a business and work that is supposed to be happening.

as soon as he told us of these health issues, I immediately knew this would have an impact.

but long story short, as of last week he simply stopped answer his phone and or responding to any attempt on our part to reach him. his brother then emailed me yesterday and told me that they were "hoping" to get our cabinets delivered some time the last week in march.

the last week. from the first week. to suddenly the last week. with no warning that this was happening.

we are at a point in our kitchen where there is literally nothing else that can be done until the cabinets come in.

i'm very worried that we will lose our GC's crew to other jobs because (and I totally understand this), they can't just sit around waiting on us.

soooo...i'm pretty much beside myself. i feel awful for being upset. i feel awful for being annoyed. but i am. i am very upset and annoyed. the total lack of communication that has been building for the last few months has been a serious concern and i've been telling the cabinet guy that i'm not happy with the level of communication. i've suggested that he pass our project off to someone else - assuming there is a someone else. he continued to make it sound like all was totally fine and on pace and that there was nothing to worry about - all was in production and moving like it should be.

clearly, this was not the case and now we can't manage to speak to a live person. the brother is clearly screening my calls. they are located about 6 hours away, so it's not like i'm going to go show up in their showroom.

i guess this is part whine and part question - what do i do and what can i ask of my GC and all the other vendors that are now in the same holding pattern. is there any chance i can end up being charged for a wait time?

has anyone else dealt with a sudden out of the blue delay that held up other vendors?

thanks

Comments (15)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES