SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Radon

ilovemytrees
9 years ago

Hi. I have never posted in this particular forum before, so it's nice to meet all of you.

Okay, so I have a home that was built in 1947. The entire first floor of the house is cinderblock. The 2nd floor is wood. However, when my husband and I bought the house we had it fully covered in vinyl siding with shutters.

We've lived in this house for 12 years, and we plan on living here the rest of our lives. We're in the country on a small lake, and we live a relatively tranquil life.

On a whim (and I wish I hadn't) I checked on radon levels for our county in NY, and was aghast at the numbers. I called our local Environment Health Dept and the guy told me that he has a Master's Degree in the area of Radon etc, and he asked me a ton of questions of where I lived, and had me describe the house etc. He said that Radon is a problem for people who have, and use, basements, and especially if they have a forced air type of heating in their basement that is used to heat homes. He said while our sandy loam soil puts us at higher risk, since we only have a small crawl space that only houses our water well and since no one occupies that area that Radon isn't a concern.

Is that really true? I thought it was also in well water? Our state says any Radon amount under 4 is acceptable, but there are other states that say no number is acceptable.

,We're going to get tested and in the meantime we're running a ceiling fan and keeping our living room windows slightly open. We're also going to get a positive ion generator. We're also trying to figure out how to vent our crawl space. Do any of you do anything to mitigate radon exposure?

Comments (13)