SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

Thoughts on pruning? I'd love to see photos of your roses post-prune!

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

Hi all, I am gearing up for my first major pruning adventure, and I was just wondering, do any of you have any photos of your roses after pruning? I have recently come across a few photos of pruned roses on various websites and blogs and I was surprised at how much beauty there is to be found in the naked structure of a rose, but more so than that I found the photos to be very educational in a way I did not expect! It has never been easier to see the growth habit of a rose in a photo, especially when comparing the various types of roses to each other, it is so easy to see the what features make each of them different, aside from the blooms.

I have been doing a LOT of reading on the topic, so I feel fairly confident about jumping in gloves first with my felco's, but there are a couple of my roses that I just don't really know how to approach. I know that pruning is a very individual thing, and that there may be more than one correct way to do it, I just really enjoy and learn from seeing all your photos and reading any kind of discussion this post may inspire.

There is one situation I would like to ask specifically about, and that is what I am calling "the candelabra effect", I have 2 young roses, one is Munstead Wood (2 years old), the other is Jude the Obscure (one year old), & they both have this one giant cane that is very long, thick, and branchless except for right at the top where they have formed this candelabra-esque network of laterals, but just right near the top. The rest of the growth on both plants is very small and wimpy & left over from being in their baby stages, and last summer instead of putting on any reasonable growth, they both just grew this one giant "adult" cane each with a little "hat" made of branches......which seems like it is just begging to be removed. It does seem like if I remove the "hats" I'll be taking almost 40-50% of the plant, but the shapes of both plants as-is really bug me. I am pretty sure of what I need to do, but I'd just like to get a second opinion, many books say don't do any signifiant pruning until year three, but I don't think I can, or that I need to wait that long!

For any other novice pruners out there, here are a couple of blogs I have found very useful, informative, and fun:

http://www.organicgardendreams.com/

http://pieceofeden.blogspot.com/

Many thanks to all who reply!

Jessica

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County