SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

Clutter and combatting it

fortyseven_gw
9 years ago

glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion ... (the number floats at the top).

If anyone who has not already done so would like to post photos of their set ups, it would be helpful. In the past, when photos are posted, they helped me be more professional about my set up. I am still an amateur and don't do many of the things that the true experts do.

The topic of clutter has been mentioned a few times. Violets just seem to look cluttered. Especially if they have multiple crowns. To my eyes, the larger violets look less cluttered. Orchids, on the other hand, are simple and elegant, non-fussy, do not look like clutter.

Many people love minis, they were not so much around when I first started growing. They are not my "thing." When violet babies are growing, they go through the mini stage, anyway. I prefer standards or small standards.

When Shallon posted photos of her shelves, that motivated me to gather all my collection onto shelves in one place, except for a few ornamental ones left on glass tables. Which meant the books went elsewhere. Then we (myself and family) realized that without books, the rooms looked less cluttered.

I guess if I did not like clutter, I would not have so many violets! For me, the balance is between maintaing a working collection, on which I am always doing something, and having it all look not too "busy."

Anyway, any thoughts on finding that balance between having a healthy collection and a tidy looking set up are welcome.

So far, I have used shelves that are all the same design. (not on purpose, I gave away the Flora carts and did not want to put the money out to replace them.)

It was meant to be temporary, but got so many positive votes, the violets now live on what were book shelves. I put plastic clear matting beneath each set of shelves.

We get a lot of stuff from the Container Store because it works. A storage bin that used to hold sweaters now holds indoor gardening supplies, tucked away n a closet. I may have gone overboard, now it looks like violets are the main theme in the home ... (Have been reading books on Feng Shui, as this being California, balancing energy flow is a common theme.) For example, plants are not supposed to be a bedroom. The theory is that the energy interferes with sleep. This can create many problems for many people, if a spare room also doubles as a plant room and a guest bedroom. I guess my real question is, does anyone on the Forum know about Feng Shui and have you found a way to make it work with your violets so that they enhance your living space rather than looking cluttered or disorganized.

Joanne

Comments (16)