SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawjedi

Flat island vs. 2 level... crazy thinking 2 might be better?

lawjedi
10 years ago

I think we are going to take the full plunge for the kitchen remodel this year. For the past few years, we've made various changes - some just temporary to bide us over, some that will be able to translate to our "true" remodel of cabs/layout etc... We have temporary laminate counters right now that dh fabricated - and in doing so, we increased our small island of 27x 48 to 39x48.

What I've found is... I truly do like the way one large level island LOOKS when clean and cleared.

it is nice for entertaining casually. it is nice for sitting at with an activity... or overflow space for diners when the kitchen table is too full...

I don't need the space to "spread out" for projects or papers... I am a few steps away from our kitchen table/banquette that dh & I built... and another few steps away from the barely used dining room table... & I wouldn't choose to do projects there anyway. Kids have an art space in the basement.

I've found that the island is a flat surface MAGNET for all the flotsam and jetsam in the house. We are a family of 6, kids ages 6-13. Every one of us, dh & I included, are guilty of placing stuff down on the island. Once placed, I swear, I think it glues itself down. I've been a broken record "don't put your stuff down here!!!" to no avail. I think I'm the only person who truly cleans off the island. And yes, I do it on a near daily basis.

I don't use the island for regular dinner prep. I do use it for big cooking marathons, but for quickie stuff, I just move to the cleared off perimeter counters.

As contrary as this sounds, as much as I adore open space and light airy-ness, I also enjoy the freedom that boundaries give you. Protected zones as it were...

I've been thinking lately that I might really like an island with the 2nd tier - in an "L" shape on the rectangular island. I know that stuff will continue to be placed down, regardless of how much I harp on it. The raised tier would be a higher boundary... and the reg height counter would be in a more protected area of the kitchen.

I know that 2 tier islands are pass� right now... but perhaps it would work better for us.

Any thoughts?

Anyone willing to raise their hand and say "yes, I still like my 2 tier?" or perhaps, "yes, I thought it would help and it didn't?"

Just fleshing out ideas --- thanks for your help!

Comments (31)