SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giddyupgo

Container Gardening in Zone 9a

giddyupgo
9 years ago

Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would describe myself as a brown thumb who is gradually starting to show a few tints of green. :) I have five acres of unfenced, deer-infested property so at some point I do plan to fence part of it off and plant an actual garden, but until my thumb turns a little more green I'm going to avoid the expense and grow in containers on my deck.

In the past I have had success with hot peppers and bush beans, growing on the south side of my deck. I've planted tomatoes there too but it just gets too hot for them and they never produce very well (an average summer day here is in the 90s, with heat waves in the 100s. The 80s are considered a cool spell.) I have since learned that shading them during the hotter parts of the day might help.

My question: I have lots of space on the west side of my house to grow veggies, but what would grow there? It's 11am and there's sun on that side of the deck right now, so I'm afraid that it would get even hotter over there than it does on the south side. I have limited space on the east side and a little more on the south side. How do I go about determining what I should grow in each area? Anyone have suggestions on which crops to try where?

Thank you in advance!

Comments (9)