SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuderte

Anyone growing Gruss an Aachen in zone 9a equivalent?

tuderte
8 years ago

I planted my own-root GaA in March this year. She has grown very well (considering she was a very small plant in a 2.5 litre pot when she arrived last November and spent the winter in that pot). She is now about 2 feet tall and the diameter is also about 2 feet. She has been blooming constantly since May and, even though July and August were very hot here she just kept on blooming (and growing).

All the comments I've read suggest that she is a small shrub but I was wondering exactly how small is small? I've learnt (to my cost) to take no notice of any size guides for David Austin roses in my area - they are easily double the heights mentioned in the catalogues. However, if GaA can only manage a top of, say, 4 feet then she will be overwhelmed by the other roses in the zone where I've planted her so I'll wait until winter and dig her up and plant something else in her place.

Of course, if she really does stay quite small in my area she may be a perfect candidate for growing in a pot. I really love her flowers and her glorious scent, although I'm waiting to see some of those 'light pink ageing to cream' blooms. Has anyone else seen blooms this colour on their GaA?

Newly opened flower -

Could I have Pink Gruss an Aachen by mistake?

Tricia

Comments (15)