SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treebarb

Pinus Nigra hardiness

We had a brutal temp swing in November after a very mild fall. It was 65-70 degrees one day, then dropped to 15 below the next day. Nearly everything has damage, deciduous trees have held on to their dead leaves, very unusual for here. The conifers, even the natives look terrible! I'm hoping for recovery, although I've verified a Pinus bungeana (planted 4 years ago) and Picea orientalis 'Atrovirens' (planted 3 years ago) are toast, I bent branches slightly and they snapped right off.

I think I understand what happened, the plants weren't dormant yet and got zapped. We flooded September of 2013 and growth last year was amazing! The only thing to be done is exercise patience and prune off what's dead once I confirm it's dead. I'll have a few planting opportunities!

The exception has been Pinus nigra, Austrian black pine. I have 4, straight species and only one has any significant damage, the oldest and largest of the 4. They range in size and age from a 12 inch seedling planted in fall to a 7 footer I put in as a 3 footer 5 years ago. I know many of you have bid adieu to this tree due to disease issues, but it's not hit here yet, so it's still being widely planted.

Any thoughts on how this tree handled it?

OT, I send my sympathy to those east of the Mississippi. My God, what a winter you're having!

Barb

Comments (6)