SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

How soon is "too soon" to select a realtor?

LE
9 years ago

Not planning to sell until about this time next year. Houses in our area are in short supply, not staying on market long right now, but who knows what things are like in a year. We've been in the house for 20+ years, so we have already started the decluttering process. Our retirement house is almost done, so we have a place to put things that we are taking, but a lot just needs to go. House is 90+ years old, so although it's well-maintained and has a lot of updates, there's always something that needs doing.

I'm sure it would sell relatively quickly right now if we did nothing, but of course, we'd like to maximize the price. We have a list of things that definitely need to be done, but I think we could use some prof. advice on prioritizing some of the rest of it. Examples: need to improve curb appeal, plants in the front yard have become overgrown, which of these 2 trees should we take out? Re-paint front door or just clean it up and polish it? Paint south side of house exposed to weather, yes or no? The final white appliance is the DW, but it just won't die-- replace or leave it? That sort of thing.

But a year in advance seems lilke too early to be deciding on a realtor-- would it be unreasonable to get their time at this point when they wouldn't make a dime from the sale for over a year? We had two appraisals done last year when we refinanced, so we have some idea of the price, but obviously that would need to be updated when it is time to sell. So I guess I'm looking for triage on the Honey-do list for this summer and also maybe want to just get the decision of who to hire out of the way!

Comments (14)