SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reedmac

Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting

hi all,

we moved to a place with a really old orange tree in the backyard - which had been totally butchered before we moved in. it has sprung back and has loads of fruit on it so we're glad it recovered (though many of the branches are thin since they are new - only a few have broken from the weight of the fruit).

in fact, it's got so much fruit it's dropping 10-15 oranges a day which split and mold immediately. is this typical? the fruit also doesn't last very long on the counter - maybe i'm picking it overripe? or could it be the variety? or is this just what a real organic untreated orange is like?

also now it's already blooming again - wondering if other folks trees are blooming too or is it the unpredictable weather we've had? (socal) my local garden center folks said everything was blooming early this year.

should i be harvesting more aggressively or will the fruit last awhile on the tree? given how much is dropping i guess i just wanted to check and see what others' experiences are.

i may have to start leaving bags of oranges on the sidewalk for passersby....lol.

Comments (7)