SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Lighting Plan Help for New Kitchen

Carrie B
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm thinking I'll go with two parallel lines of recessed lights for my new, wide galley kitchen. I may also do under cabinet lights, too, dependent on cost, but for now, I'm trying to get the overhead lighting figured out. Here's the overall plan:

Here's the entire plan first floor existing layout. Note that positioning of couch & chairs has changed - and do from time to time (though, with kitchen dining in it's new location, it's not likely to go back to where it was in this drawing:)

And a couple of photos of what the first floor looks like (including LR furniture setup,) looking back from the (existing) kitchen:

Note that there is currently one awkwardly placed over head light in between the kitchen & LR, and then there's track lighting over the fireplace. Those are the only two fixed lights other than kitchen lighting on this floor.

Initially, I had thought maybe three (or four or five) overhead lights along the long side of the galley, and then one fewer on the short side, with lighting on the long side starting around the DW, and lighting on the short side starting just after the basement door.

Now, I'm wondering if I should make the lights starting evenly above where the steps come down & the bumpout - where the small, round dining table will be, & going to the back. If I go with starting the lights at the steps, it will provide light for the table, and make the kitchen look more cohesive. It will also - at least visually - make the kitchen seem bigger, and the rest of the house smaller, I think.

Am open to any of your thoughts.

Comments (27)