How do you know?
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
How do you know how many tomatoes? or amount of puree?
Comments (12)do you know of any recipes (annie's salsa) that are converted to a puree quantity like the KA strainer produces? Nope, no pureed salsas. The various tomato mills and your KA attachment are just for making tomato juice and smooth tomato sauces, not salsa. There are lots of pureed tomato sauce recipes but they are usually just tomatoes and various dried spices. Salsas are chunky, not smooth purees, and are made with either a food processor like a Cuisinart that chop or hand chopping or tools like the Slap Chop or what are called "salsa makers" like the one linked below. Because salsas contain many different low-acid vegetables like onions and peppers they have to be chunky to be safe to can. Canning pureed low-acid vegetables of any kind is pretty much limited. Dave Here is a link that might be useful: Salsa Maker...See MoreHow do you know how much soap is enough in a front loader?
Comments (8)I have gone back and forth, up and down, in and out on detergent dosing. I've used the detergent manufacturer's recommendation, the washer manufacturer's recommendation, what I've read on here and various amounts through experimentation. Here is what works for me, and me alone: 1.5 TBSP for a full 4 cuft load, 1.0 TBSP if smaller load, and 2 TBSP for a full 4 cuft highly soiled load. I have a whole house water softener, so my detergent needs are greatly reduced. My hardness is essentially zero. Using the above doses, my clothes come out clean and don't require fabric softener. My machine manufacturer (Miele) says, in the manual, to follow the detergent package recommendations. Following the recommendations on the detergent package results in over sudsing. I let the softness of the laundry as it comes out of the dryer be my guide. If it ever comes out feeling even a little stiff or scratchy, I've used too much. This works for me, others may find they need more or less....See MoreHow do you know what you know about old houses, etc?
Comments (14)Whoa, if you get a degree in industrial arts you get to acquire carpentry textbooks along the way?!? Sweet! Kim, I've always enjoyed/appreciated your contributions; given the wisdom of trial and error that was behind them, I see why they stood out. My mom got us a couple of the Reader's Digest fixit books (have to run downstairs, one of them might be the very one you have); I like the way they are encyclopedic and detailed. I know Jane Powell but not the Small Houses books (do you mean The Not So Big stuff by Susanka, or the Small House anthologies from Fine Homebuilding?) Thanks for mentioning books; I think I might start a reference book thread for this forum. Hey Casey, THANKS for taking the bait. And you are NOT a bloody genius, you are an old house DEITY for crying out loud! Would you please start your own show on youtube? Or maybe just a house tour? Even Petch house has youtube videos. Or, do you already have a project blog and everyone knows about it but me? Actually for someone with a degree in historic preservation, I am impressed with how low-key your posts come across; they read more like an old friend who's "been there" and wants to pass along lessons learned along the way, it's really very nice and encouraging. But if you ever want to browbeat me feel free; I would take it as a compliment. To be honest if I post about something I'm thinking of doing to my house, and you don't opine, I figure one of two things is going on: 1) you're not on the forum; or 2) you're politely disapproving. Most of the time I assume it's 2 because you seem to be pretty consistent around here. But I just want to say, and I hope I speak for many, that I love love love your posts, especially when I'm searching on a problem I'm trying to solve and something from you pops up! (PS I finally got around to using that general finishes gel varnish you recommended and it was fantastic, thank you; I will post photos to the woodworking forum sometime before the next census.) Oh, and I love the way you "aged" the color tones in the new pine beadboard in your kitchen; reminds me of the pine in my grandmother's kitchen. When I was really little I used to look at the gleaming pores and think it was the closest wood could get to 24K gold....See MoreHow do you know how a chandelier should hang?
Comments (9)I found this: Ms. Wingfield again said that "If it's over a bed or over a walkway, keep it high enough that you can walk underneath it." Seven feet of clearance from the bottom of the fixture to the floor is a good rule of thumb. Centered over a bed, you could probably get away with 6 feet from the bottom of the fixture to the floor.â I guess from there you eyeball it!...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

BUDGETING YOUR PROJECTConstruction Contracts: What to Know About Estimates vs. Bids
Understanding how contractors bill for services can help you keep costs down and your project on track
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROS10 Things Decorators Want You to Know About What They Do
They do more than pick pretty colors. Here's what decorators can do for you — and how you can help them
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSWhat Do Landscape Architects Do?
There are many misconceptions about what landscape architects do. Learn what they bring to a project
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROS17 Things Color Consultants Want You to Know
Dithering over potential palettes for your home? A color pro might be the way to go. Here's how it works
Full Story
MOST POPULAR10 Things Clean Freaks Know to Be True
Are you completely committed to domestic cleanliness? Then you may recognize some of these spotless truths
Full Story
FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPING10 Things Neat Freaks Know to Be True
Do you err on the incredibly tidy side? Then you probably already live by these nuggets of neat wisdom
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESWhat to Know About Budgeting for Your Home Remodel
Plan early and be realistic to pull off a home construction project smoothly
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN14 Design Tips to Know Before Remodeling Your Bathroom
Learn a few tried and true design tricks to prevent headaches during your next bathroom project
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREKnow Your House: Learn the Lingo of Rooftops
Knowing the language of rooftop design will help you through your next repair or remodel project
Full Story
murraysmom Zone 6a OH