SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolinakiwi

Another white paint kitchen cabinet rec?

carolinakiwi
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I know this question gets asked over and over. I've read as many posts on this forum that I can find about white paint for kitchen cabinets and I've spent hours "pinning" specific white kitchens. I know ultimately it's going to come down to me painting some samples on large white poster board and hanging them on my kitchen cabinets. But I'd like to ask if any of you have some recommendations so I don't have to buy 30 white samples like I did when I was trying to find the right gray for my walls. :-)

Our house is a very open floor plan. The walls are painted SW mindful gray, reduced 25% (so at 75% strength). Our counters are an off white color with tannish flecks in it (corian countertops). The trim in our whole house around baseboards, windows, and on the doors is SW extra white. The kitchen cabinets do not come into contact or come too near any of our trim work. There is a pantry door painted in SW extra white in the kitchen but it is jetted out the wall just a bit so the cabinets are not touching the white.

I'm trying to figure out some whites that I could try without going crazy like I did with grays for my walls. Would SW Extra white be too stark of a white for cabinets?

My house info:

--We get a fair amount of natural light through large windows about 12 feet away in the dinette area, but there's not a small window specifically in the kitchen.

-I'm considering putting in white subway tile. And also I'm considering painting the lower cabinets a medium gray - just a bit darker than the 75% strength mindful gray that I have on the walls.

Other whites I'm considering besides SW Extra White:

-SW Pure White

-SW Eider White - in general I like this white, but in comparison to the other whites it definitely looks very light gray. But would this work since I have gray walls and am considering putting am considering putting medium gray on the lower cabinets? When I put the paint swatch up on the cabinets it definitely looks pure white to me. But I'm am scared if I painted in eider white that they'd look a bit dirty. Anyone else use this color for kitchen cabinets?

-SW Snowbound - but when I hold this up against the others it has a pink undertone. But it goes well with the subway tile that I picked up a sample of from Lowes (I just bought the in stock subway tile to see how it would look with my counters).

-Would Extra white be too cold. Even though the trim work is extra white, should I warm it up just a tiny bit on the cabinets?

I want to add that I'm not opposed to using BM paint colors, it's just that SW is down the street from me and they have sales all the time. I can get paint at BM as well. I just don't want to get BM paint at SW and vice versa. Even though they have each others formulas - if I needed extra paint later for touch ups, then I would be scared I couldn't get it to match.
Thanks for any insight!

Comments (3)