SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
containergardenerbeginner

Help with 5:1:1

Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for Al's 5:1:1. I'm in UK so products are maybe marked up differently here. Overall I'm looking to make up about a cubic metre (approx 260 gallons) of mix for 7 balcony containers.

1. Are AGED pine bark fines ok? Its the only type I can find here; has particles in the 0-8mm range.

2. The manufacturer (Sinclair) recommends adding 100g/m3 of ammonium nitrate per 10% bark used, which to me sounds odd as it fixes the quantity of nitrate irrespective of the overall total quantity of bark fines. Does anyone have a formula for nitrate which makes more sense, or is this one ok?

3. And now for the dumbest question...if peat doubles in volume when you fluff and wet it, do you only order half the quantity needed for the mix?!

4. Although I appreciate that different plants need fine tuning on the mix/water/nutrients front, is the 5:1:1 mix the best GENERAL mix to get started with for flower & shrub (not veggie) filled containers?

5. Are there any UK 5:1:1 users out there?! Any hard learnt tips for South England containers using this mix?

Just a quick note of thanks for all advice last time...I somehow managed to miss the autumn plant up season but I'm now in poll position for Spring!

Comments (8)