SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceezeecz

Is a medicine cabinet necessary in hall bath?

ceezeecz
9 years ago

I have a very small hall bath that I'm basically giving a facelift with out moving any plumbing or electrical. Right now when facing the vanity there is a medicine cabinet built into the side wall. I'm hoping to eliminate that and simply put mirrors over the sinks. The vanity will have drawers and cabinet doors so there will be some storage there.

Comments (52)

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

The sink cabinet looks tiny to me - only 5ft? In a hall bath (guest bath too?) I'd personally rather have more counterspace and one less sink. Because really, only one person is going to use that tiny bathroom at a time. I'd center the sink, double your useable drawers in that cabinet, and THEN possibly consider removing a medicine cabinet. Have you noticed that using the left sink in the pic would require leaning over the toilet?! That's not user friendly and will not make a good impression on visitors.

Instead, why not run the cabinet the full length of the wall? Less annoying corners to clean, and if you made the you could even have the long run 21" deep, you could accent the sink by using a 24" deep cabinet as a decorative bumpout. More storage, more useable counterspace! You also have 18" from cabinet to the CL of the toilet, which is MUCH more comfortable than 15", especially if your guests are on the larger size.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was thinking of maybe going to just one. This is how it looks now.

• Related Discussions

Hall bath remodel 99% done

Q

Comments (4)
    The demolition was complete on the first day, and the new bath was put in place and plumbed the second. The entire process, however, from start to finish, took 5 weeks--the tiling was very time-consuming, we crossed the holiday weekend (the 4th), a few other delays due to sub-contractors. We were lucky enough to have another full bath in the house that we weren't re-doing, so were not without function. Nothing unusual popped up during the demo, by the way. Thanks for putting the clickable link in place for me too!
    ...See More

Custom medicine cabinet? Other options?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, My builder recommended a cabinetmaker who made my vanity and matching recessed medicine cabinets. This guy is marvelous, and he is now making me built in bookshelves and filing for my office, and will likely make my kitchen island, and radiator covers etc etc etc. He is not expensive, but does beautiful work. Perhaps your builder can recommend someone good in your area? My medicine cabinets are nothing fancy - just a hinged door with glass shelves sitting on adjustable pins inside, but fine for my use.
    ...See More

Hall bath reveal

Q

Comments (26)
    We remodeled our bathroom with an initial quote of $17,000 for tear out and disposal of old fixtures and flooring, new travertine tile with Installation over heated floor, travertine baseboard with a 36" tiled wet area on the wall in tub space only. The existing separate shower retained exact footprint. We redid the walls in composite granite slab from a company whose initials are GT, install plumbing fixtures that we purchased and finally new frameless glass shower surround and door. We purchased or hired other services on our own: Pedestal tub, plumbing fixtures, sinks, granite tops, painter for existing cabinets, plus 4 end panels, new knobs, wallpaper removal, wall paint and painter, frames for mirrors over vanities, comfort height toilet, lighting fixtures and all decorations including drapes. All of this came to another $11,000. We could have done it more cost effectively, we didn't set out to spend this much. We were shocked at prices even with not even getting close to top of the line products though we did get some splurge items such as the tub and floor. The sky's the limit in prices these days. We saved money where we could. When there are two vanities, there's two of everything which adds up. The biggest expense was the flooring, followed by the pedestal tub and stand alone British tub faucet and the frameless glass shower enclosure. We did it over a two year time frame after the initial necessities and hard surfaces were in and finally just recently put up drapes after nearly 6 years! I cringe to think we spent $28K on a bathroom redo that didn't even include changing the floor plan or new cabinets.
    ...See More

Hall Bath - Almost finished!

Q

Comments (11)
    Enduring: the vinyl floor is Mannington, the collection is called Alloy, and the color we got was Carbon Steel. For the tile I went with DalTile K101 because it was a white that was close to Kohler white. The grout color is SuperWhite. Even so, the white silicone caulk seems a little whiter IMHO. But only if you're looking for it :) Kirkhall - I see Williamsem has given you the link to the Kohler Bancroft ranting :) (thanks, Williamsem!). The tub is a plain old Villager by Kohler. It is new, it's cast iron. Not a great tub for soaking because it's only 30"x60" and not very deep ... But it fit in the space and wasn't expensive. In the master bath we got the Kohler cast iron shower base and I really like it (just the looks, still need shower doors so we haven't used it). Thanks, everyone! I do love having a counter (instead of a teeny wall mount sink) to get ready for work at. Definitely want to finish the space, though. I'm hanging the door today (yay!) Here is a link that might be useful: Floor link
    ...See More
  • Vith
    9 years ago

I agree, 21" vanity with 22" vanity top. Need more space for toilet. Mirror cabinet is always handy, but if you don't like it you can just do a mirror. It's your house!

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Two more photos. This of course all started with me thinking I might want a small soaking tub instead of the old shallow one that is there now.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I go wall to wall there is literally no place to hang a bath towel. That's a current issue. By using a smaller vanity I was hoping to have a space on maybe both sides for towel racks. There is very little wiggle room with this. It is the upstairs hall bath. The master bath was redone a year or so ago and is wonderful. But this is so limiting I want to make it the best it can be. There is a decent sized linen closet in the hall.

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

What about using a floating ledge for a (rolled) towel, and having a bar on the back of the door for hanging wet towels to dry?

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    9 years ago

You don't have to do a mirrored medicine cabinet. The medicine cabinet I just put in to my dressing area is wood (no mirror). I think that anytime you have an opportunity for storage you should take it! My former medicine cabinet was also un-mirrored and I had a towel ring under it. It was fine.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you think of this layout? I still want to keep the separate furniture look and not built in.

The cabinet next to the window is a tall linen cabinet.

• User
    9 years ago

If it were me, I'd do a single sink with to the counter storage towers to either side. You can never have enough storage in any bath!

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I move the sink cabinet to the center so I can put storage towers on both sides the toilet is in the way when you're at the sink. I'd like to not go narrower than 36" for the sink cabinet so there is enough countertop space. Also I think two towers would make the space seem too crowded.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

How about an over-the-back-of-the-door towel rack?

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That sounds workable. Not sure my husband will like that. He likes to hang his robe on the door.

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Lookintomyeyes has given you great suggestions. Forget the medicine cabinet and use the drawers. In regard to side towers in a small bath, splashing water on them would be a concern for me. Finally, my hall bath is also small and has no medicine cabinet. A side drawer is used instead. When I upgrade, will keep this same arrangement. For me, a framed wall mirror is a nicer look than a medicine cabinet.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a link to the thread about my master bath that I had redone about a year and a half ago.

I agree. New plan with 5' vanity, drawers to the left of the sink, doors under the sink, two columns of drawers to the right of the sink doors. Room on the window wall next to the vanity for a double towel rack. I couldn't make my planning program put in a bump out at the sink but that might look nice.no medicine chest but a beautiful mirror over the sink. And plenty of drawers.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have a 5 ft. vanity in my hall bath with one sink and it doesn't seem at all tiny to me. I have tons of storage. I also have a medicine cabinet at right angles to my over-the-vanity mirror. I don't want to store everything in drawers. Plus--and this is major for me--you have a way to see the sides of your hair if you style it there. It's 1) storage, 2) beauty aid.

• User
    9 years ago

I would do the plan with the linen cabinet. I'd do two deep drawers in the linen cab for toilet paper and towels. It's too cramped besides the toilet to have sets of drawers for small items. I'd make the linen cab a wood-topped counter height decorative cabinet/chest to give you another low surface, even if you just put a plant there. Put art or shelves on the wall above it. Bring the counter to the wall for more drawer and counter space. Add a pretty framed mirror over the sink. I'd keep the medicine cabinet.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I figured out I can't put drawers on the right side of a 5' vanity, there's not enough room by the toilet for them to open more than halfway. Has to be doors. So now thinking I'll need the medicine chest. Plus the extra bonus for seeing your hair. :) I'd need to replace the crappy one that's there now, no problem.

The idea of a low linen cabinet with two drawers is interesting. I'll give that some thought. Then go with the 4' vanity to give it the room it'd need.

The cabinet itself would have to not have much depth but the drawers could be deep. The tall one I put in my master bath is in a style I like.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found this in houzz.

Vishal & Shefali's Remodel Project · More Info

How about if I just do something like the left cabinet (not that one with the open bottom though). And then this linen tower is only 16" deep. Those drawers would open just fine next to the toilet. The sink vanity is then 36" wide.

• User
    9 years ago

A 36" vanity is a good choice to give more toilet clearance. I have one with three 12" drawers, which hold the few things I need in that bath. It butts up to a built-in linen closet. Counterspace is not generous, so that's why I suggested another low counter. Handy for keeping out a blow dryer or for guests to keep their toiletry bag. It could be taller than the vanity for more interest, with a different wood and countertop than the vanity.

You said there's a linen closet in the hall, so what are your needs for the linen tower? It seems to me you're looking for a way to fill that space. The open shelves are good--the less cabinetry the better in this size bath--but I hate open towel storage around a toilet. Are you creating a floor cleaning challenge with built-in cabinet in that space? Maybe it's just a little too much storage for a tiny hall bath.

Would something as simple as this Pottery Barn sundry tower work? It's 15" x 15" x 36" and has a marble top. Or this PB seagrass laundry hamper that is easily removable to mop around the toilet?

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the PB sundry tower! I also found a teak short 30" tower that has three shelves. (Also not really happy with shelves—too hard to keep clean.) But I like the white one you found much better. I'm really just looking for something to hold a few extra towels and TP. I like the marble top, not doing white marble on the vanity, that's for sure. I may use a pale whitish Quartz or a light granite.

I may see if I can use a 42" or 48" vanity without it feeling all squeezed together. I think whatever I can do to open it will look better. 36" isn't all that small, though. The extra open space with a small tower like the one you found and a 36" vanity is looking like a good plan.

I wonder if two sconces, one on each side of the mirror, will provide enough light? Put one in the shower? I have a 4 light bar fixture now but it's on a dimmer and I never have it all the way up. No other light, other than the window.

• User
    9 years ago

For our 9' x 5' master bath, I read we need 300 w of lighting. I was going to use two 100 w sconces over a 60" single sink vanity and a Panasonic combo fan/light just outside the shower. We don't have a window. If I were you, I'd add the fan/light or a can light near the tub.

Will you move the sink plumbing down to center the single sink? You'll probably need a few more inches in order to fit a sconce on the left.

Here's another PB bath cabinet. Also do a search on their modular bath storage.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I'm going to center the sink over the 36" vanity. I need to measure to make sure sconces will work. I would go with the sconces I used in the master bathroom but they cannot be dimmed and I really need that to create a low light mood for my soaking bath. :)

Please excuse the brick walls in this mockup. I didn't bother changing them to interior yet. This is using the 36" vanity and the PB sundry tower. I think it looks good. No mirror, light, etc., on it yet. I just wanted to get an idea of space.

• User
    9 years ago

If you could find or have custom-made a 36" vanity with a 24" sink base, 24" wide deep bottom drawer, and 12" drawers, you'd have the ideal set-up for towel and bathroom storage. In the semi-custom and off-the shelf vanities, I believe the bottom drawer is too shallow for towels. That's the case with Kraftmaid.

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/cyprus-pointe-transitional-cottage-traditional-bathroom-grand-rapids-phvw-vp~122541-Bathroom-Vanity-traditional-bathroom-grand-rapids[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cyprus-pointe-transitional-cottage-traditional-bathroom-grand-rapids-phvw-vp~122541)

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did find this.

This is a Bertch, who also made my vanity for the Master Bathroom. But you're right, the 12" drawers are just too small to hold towels. I use the tall linen tower for all the towels. This vanity however has two drawers while my other 60" vanity has three. It might work if the towels are rolled. Not sure.

• cindywhitall
    9 years ago

Did I miss something? Can you put the drawers in the left side instead of the right? Just make sure you have clearance for the doors to open. Why go from 5 feet to 3 ft, why not 48"?

Finally, we took down our plate glass mirror and put two (we have 72" double sink) giant medicine cabinets. Both sons have filled theirs up. The vanity only has doors, so maybe with drawers it would be different. It's way easier to find stuff on the shelve than it would if the stuff was jumbled in a drawer. You can fit tp and tissue boxes (on their side) in these cabinets too.

You can put this type or one of many others over the toilet for storage etc.

We are about to update ours with new vanity and top so we will have some drawers. They will still be nit much better than builder grade so the drawers won't be big, but it will be better. Now we are sorry we got those medicine cabinets because they are oak and hubby doesn't want to trash them or change them, so we have to stay with something oaky colored, but with less obvious grain at least. The med. cab is not a heavy grain oak at least.

Just a thought.Very useful med cabinet

• User
    9 years ago

My KM 36" has the full-length top panel and I don't like stooping to reach the top drawer.

With a 48" vanity with two 12" drawer stacks, the top drawers are right at counter height. Maybe the toilet would only be in the way of the bottom drawer, but you'd have plenty of other drawers. You'd have no problem fitting sconces.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I go with a 48" and have drawers on the right I don't see how any but the top drawer would clear the toilet seat as it measures at 18". It also makes it pretty impossible to put in and use a linen tower on the right of the vanity. So I lose the extra space I'd get with that. Even a 42" is probably too wide with drawers on the right. And the drawers need to be on the right for the clearance on the left isn't enough. So it's either 36" with a linen tower (and I love the short one from PB) or I go with 60" and run into drawer and door clearance issues.

In the master bathroom I have double mirrored medicine chests over the sinks and they are fabulous (and full). They're roborn, I think. Mirrored everywhere. I already have a beautiful mirror to go over the single sink so a plain mirrored medicine chest on the left wall works well.

Can't put anything over the toilet, as you can see from the 3D rendering, there is a window above the toilet. So that's out.

The cabinet that is there now was custom and only has doors. They are all 12" wide. I never ever use the ones on the far right, even though the doors open you just can't easily reach in due to the darn toilet. Drat that toilet!

• User
    9 years ago

Another idea is a pedestal sink and a cabinet. I'd want a wider cabinet than the PB. Search pedestal sinks on Houzz to see if anything appeals.

1940'3 bath room up date with glass penny round floor and white subway wall tile · More Info

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's the PB short tower! At some point I was looking at a pedestal sink. One with wrap around chrome towel bars. I love them, all pedestal sinks, but my husband vetoed (which he almost never does). I do like that open look. I found myself the other night watching Shameless and in their opening promo have everyone come in and out of the bathroom. And thought, wow, I like that! Retro with penny round. Sigh.

• cindywhitall
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, I may have missed it, what is the clearance issue with left side drawers? I saw the window after my post.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm having the vanity go all the way to the wall and the drawer will hit the door molding before its opens all the way. Right now there is a filler next to the door that lets the door open all the way. With the vanity there won't be any filler.

• cindywhitall
    9 years ago

I am about to have the SAME issue! What's the deal with these full overlay drawers? Don't they know vanities often end at doorways? I ordered one yesterday and woke up this morning thinking uh-oh...I looked up the photo and I think my plan is screwed. Mine is a 42" space, wall to wall (powder room). I'm stuck with going for a lower quality 42" cab that has decorative edging so the drawers would be ok, or using a 36" and fillers. I think I just made a post asking if a 24" door vanity and a 18" drawer set would allow my sink to be centered. I could open the drawers if they were only on the right. Of course my choice has drawers on both sides! Not sure if I hit submit....I was so excited yesterday to find a 42" one that I liked in my budget.

You can't get a filler for the new one? My problem is I lose 6" to filler. I'm hoping I can get 12" drawer set with 30" cab, but they were closed today...I don't know if it comes.

Good luck with your project!

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New layout. Not much different than the previous, I just moved the 36" vanity away from the wall and made it standalone.

I haven't found any vanity that I like nearly as well as the vanity I have in the master bath. It is weird if I get the same style, color for the hall bath? Here's a photo of the masterbath vanity with is 60". New would be 36" single sink.

Rich, dark brown wood vanity · More Info

• User
    9 years ago

No, it's not strange. What are you using for a counter?

You might consider a different door style. I have Shaker in my kitchen, but I used a fancier door style to dress up my guest bath. My thinking was that the 36" vanity was going to be the focal point and I didn't want a plain-looking box. In the MB, I'm doing a beaded door.

I see that Bertch has a lot of doors that aren't full overlay, so that limits your choices. I like the Hudson door. It's a little fancy though. They have a matching short tower that looks a little bigger than Pottery Barn's. You might consider how the white PB tower works with the dark stain. The PB tower also comes in gray, which would look nice with some of the Bertch stains.

Hudson in Mocha

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good suggestions. The white PB tower is back ordered until mid-May so I'm now thinking of it in gray. It is expensive with the shipping and tax -almost $600. Also the drawers are self -closing. For the counter I'm going to go with a whitish Quartz. Something with flecks but not bold. I love the Hudson. I'll definitely stick with the Brindl though (I should never say definitely).

For the flooring I'm looking at American Olean Avenue One in Nightlife. Not all that much floor shows and there'll be a lot of white. And for wall color right now I like BM Tranquility AF-490.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does the Hudson come with the option to have legs? Like the short tower they show?

• cindywhitall
    9 years ago

looks good to me! You might even look around and find a 42" that fits as a standalone. Matching the master bath is a fine idea. We are going to have same vanities in our powder room and hall bath, but different tops.

I don't know what the cost will be for your 36" but keep in mind that a lot of the home stores stock 36" granite etc at a much better price than ordering from a fabricator. There are also loads of vanities in that size. I have a store called Home surplus around here and they have great options in countertops and cabinets. My vanity is similar to the one may_flowers just posted. It is a 36" due to the doorway being to close to use a 42". $700 for the granite top, sink and vanity with dovetail drawers etc. I have to pay extra because it is an inch too long for my space, but even at $820 its a good value for me.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

As you look at the options and run into drawer clearance issues, Look at the option of backing the linen tower on the back wall with the drawers opening towards the hall door rather than the toilet. You can also find mirrors suitable for hanging over a sink that hide a medicine cabinet or hang a picture on the front of a cabinet rather than a mirror (of course, best if the cabinet is recessed between the studs).

• User
    9 years ago

The Hudson door is similar to my 36" vanity. It's Kraftmaid cherry with Kaffe stain. We ordered it through Home Depot and it arrived in three weeks. I wanted more than two drawers and wanted some decorative elements. You can order from all their door styles, woods, and stain/paint options, and they offer several valances and side cabinet trims. Check their website in their bath decorative accents collection.

I know they have a few styles with feet and a toe kick. The valance styles cover the toe kick completely. Haven't added backsplash yet as we have a few projects to tile all at once.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's beautiful. I wish there were 2 doors. The like the look of he one door but think two would work better. Wouldn't stick out into the room as much.

• User
    9 years ago

I think it gets too busy with two doors and three drawers when the door style has more detail. I only have cleaning supplies and a waste basket in the sink cabinet, so it's only opened once a day.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point.

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Ceezeecz, the Hudson that Mayflower posted also has decorative molding n the sides that should take care of your problem with the drawers hitting the door molding when you try to open them if you have them on the left. Putting drawers on the left would let you have a wider vanity, wouldn't it?

Another option that I don't think I have seen you consider for your vanity area are the new slimmer vanities. They go down to 18" deep now. Signature Hardware sent me an email that they just got a bunch in, since I was looking for that size. Here is one that is 48" wide, Wenge wood, and 18" deep.

They have three pages of 18" vanities to look at here:Signature Hardware 18" deep vanities
    I ended up getting an actual lady's vanity, though. I needed the kneehole in case I ever need a wheelchair.

Cindywhitall, I don't understand why a filler panel would necessarily take up 6". They may sell it that size, but anyone who can cut a straight cut (someone with more skills than me, that is!) can cut them down to the needed size, right? If you had 9" of space, you could put in a drawer or a skinny pull-out, and that is why the filler panel is 6". The cabinet industry does everything in 3" intervals. Sometimes, a filler of only an inch or so is needed to allow clearance for a drawer to open next to the wall with a door molding in front of it, or for a door to swing right when the cabinet is at an angle to the one next to it.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

As for towels, do you really want them all the way back in that corner behind the toilet? That looks like the farthest point from the tub.

How about using several hooks on the back of the door, so that your husband can still keep his robe there? Or is there room for a couple of hooks on that bit of wall at the left end of the tub? Another option would be glass shower doors with an attached towel bar. Or is using a curtain, hook that go over the rod.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A hook on that bit of wall at the left end of the tub is a good idea. But I'm not a big fan of hanging up wet towels but that would be a great place to hang the towel when you use the tub/shower. Then hang it back up on a towel rack when done. The door hits the shower curtain when it's open so that won't work very well either. I'm not going with glass shower doors so that's out too. Really like the idea of hook near the tub. That would be very handy.

• User
    9 years ago

You might consider Nancy's suggestion of an 18" deep vanity to give you toilet clearance, especially since you want to move it away from the wall. You won't miss the 3" of counter and drawer space, but that 3" could make a big difference in floor space. You're creating a small cubicle next to the toilet--I've been trying to picture manipulating a broom and mop through that 12" opening and getting in all the corners.

Just check your sink specs if you go to 18". I know my 17" x 14" Kohler Caxton oval won't fit in an 18" cabinet, but most rectangular sinks should.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Long list of decisions (hopefully) made. Photos to follow. Going with the 36" Bertch Riverside in Shale and he freestanding PB sundry linen tower in white (back ordered until mid May, oh well).

Fell in love with the Brizo Virage line.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tub is Hydrosystems Lacey 60x32.

Anyone have this tub?

Toto Drake II toilet, Robern R3 16x24 medicine chest.

Hudson Valley Brighton sconces. 240 watts each (4 bulbs).

Flooring is American Olean Avenue One in Nightlife and wall paint is BM Affinity AF-690 Metropolitan. Already painted a couple walls to make sure.

• ceezeecz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And for the towel bar, paper hold, and hook I chose Valsan Braga. Lighter looking and I hope work with the faucet.

The shower/tub surround tile is daltile 4x12 subways tiles in Arctic White.

Lastly I'll probably go with Quartz Cambria in Whitehall. White with tiny pale dots.

• Urbicoastal
    9 years ago

Not clear how many bathrooms exist, but since this is a hall bath, I assume it is accessed by several and or used by guests. Away from kids, I think it is very handy to have a place to store OTC meds ... So the coughing guest or headache complaint can be addressed. That said, we recently re did a small bathroom and used Brookhaven cabinets mounted UP from the floor... So we could install dimmable LED light strips which serve as night light or ambient lights and make the space larger because cabs are 10" above floor wall mounted. This also was done for the sink... Buying a separate sink to mount on top of the Brookhaven. For the meds, one cabinet is tall (comes 10" shy of ceiling and 10" shy if floor). So this is fine for linens below and on upper shelves wire place easy to grab labelled bins with the OTC meds and guest items.