SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Houzz so far...

sherrygirl zone5 N il
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I logged in and had to change my user name slightly, also had to change my password. However, the pictures load SO much faster. I am really happy about the pictures! Waiting for pictures on large posts to load on the old forum was tedious! I lost patience so many times before. How are you doing?

Sherry

Had to go to advanced settings to make some changes. I was getting an email for every answer to my post, had to nix that and a few other things. As far as the missing zone, i just added a 5 to my user name for zone 5. It still recognizes my old posts even with the 5 added

Comments (134)

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Thanks for checking, Josephine.

Thanks, Tamara. This happened several times yesterday, too, but figured there was just a time delay glitch. When it continued happening today I figured it for something more. Anyway, if it continues after this I'll let you know.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

irawon, you can access garden web from Houzz main page by clicking "advice" at the right on their main bar with the logo on it. Then you'll get a page where on the left, you'll see Gardenweb forums. hth.

I also hope the new poster Bennie0203 makes it back. S/he has some beautiful hostas. ...Editing to say, I see Bennie is here.

• Related Discussions

Houzz so far.......

Q

Comments (39)
    Hostabuff: I'm not sure if I've gotten your problem right or not, but there are two names that Houzz can have. The first name is the one they log you in with each time you enter their domain. That's the one that initially says taken if you try and use your old GW name. If you don't assign yourself a new name they will assign one to you which is usually your old GW name with a bottom line after the name followed by a lower case gw. Hostabuff_gw for example. If you want to change that name when you are on the forums themselves, you go to "Your Houzz" logo in the upper right of the screen and change it to whatever you like under your profile. That name is good on the forums, but the one Houzz assigned you will be your main log in name. They don't have a specific place (as did GW) to add zone information so as Sherry suggested I simply added that to my user name when I changed it under the profile ap......Hope that helps.....Maryl
    ...See More

1950s Time Capsule Kitchen - Sorry if this is a repost

Q

Comments (6)
    This kitchen was first posted in 2010 or so on Retrorenovation, I am not sure why it's been resurrected as recent elsewhere on the net. But it is worth posting it for people to see here. Apparently the house was never lived in and the current owner as of 2010 was selling the original appliances. Maybe he wanted to sell them all as "unused" but needed a DW so plugged one into the spot. I know I could've used a DW even when I didn't have a stove.
    ...See More

heron deterrent trying it out! so far so good 8 days no birds

Q

Comments (3)
    I solved this problem by putting a pair of metal heron statues in the water of the pond. The real herons think that my pond is already "owned" by those two fake ones, so they fly on to find another spot. (One year I removed the fake ones early, and soon it was occupied by real ones -- eating my Koi fish!)
    ...See More

Lumber Liquidators, so far so good, but……

Q

Comments (2)
    The extra dark/light are ideal for closets, at least as a random board here or there, so don't throw them out! The shorties can be good for when you have a short (if you need 18 inches to get to the wall, it's a great time to use that 2 foot board). You're still going to have some waste when the installers start cutting. If Floor Tex installs cumaru, ask to see some of their work. If they do good work, they will be proud to show you. Also, you can get a feel for how they use some of the less desirable boards.
    ...See More
  • KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

One thing I am very annoyed with is that you can no longer search within a specific forum, which is a feature I personally use allll the time, especially if you are searching for tips on a specific breed of hosta that also carries the same name as a rose, or vice versa.. Etc etc, Also, I wish there was a way to bookmark certain forums so you can get to them without having to pick the name out of a huge list of forums, something that is very annoying if you are using a touch screen device, I have to zoom way in to be able to select the correct forum, it would be so easy if we had a shortcut area where we could choose our top 5 favorite boards or something of that nature to be displayed in a prominent area.... Just sayin......

• irawon zone 5a Ottawa.ca
    9 years ago

Sandyslopes, thanks for the tip. It worked.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Dinglehopp, when you type, the first option it gives you is the current forum that you're in. If you don't specify a forum, it will search everything.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

I guess I'm slow. If I wanted to post a picture of Halcyon, I would go to Photobucket, click the hosta folder and run through the alphabetically arranged hosta pictures to Halcyon. I'd have the picture in my message in about a minute.

If I'm not using Photobucket, it would likely take me an hour to hunt through thousands of pictures trying to find that shot of Halcyon.

Please tell me there is a way to post pictures using Photobucket.

And why is there always a "please confirm your email" in the middle of my screen? I have already confirmed my email!

Harry

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    9 years ago

Harry, I hope help is on its way. I now find that I can't upload a photo from my ideabook to create a cover photo. Not good.

9 years ago

And.....when you use Photobucket each picture is automatically resized so it can be uploaded/downloaded easily. To resize and rename every picture manually will take forever.

9 years ago

I am so annoyed about this dumb message across my screen that I checked my email to be sure it wasn't just my old memory failing me again. Nope. There is a message from Hose thanking me for confirming.

Also. I can't change my name back to the way it was when Hose took over our forums. I change it back to include my zone and state, like it was and it just reverts back to their version.

I've been at GardenWeb since the Spike days. Its a favorite pastime and I would hate to give it up. But these bozos have no idea what our garden forums are all about. Logging in leaves me annoyed and frustrated which is the exact opposite of what a garden experience is all about.

Hosed again.

Harry

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

harryshoe - You might be trying to change your user name, You cannot change that.

Look just below the user name and email boxes and you will see Profile info.

The First name box is where you put the name you want us to see. You can add your zone there also.

I put my zone and country in the last name box so now someone can copy/paste just peren.all if they are responding to me. It seems if it is all on one line you can't highlight it.

Hope this helps. I don't use photobucket but a lot of people here are able to.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

It seems that most people coming over from Gardenweb have had issues with trying to keep their old login, I certainly did, so I just assigned a new one and used the 'profile information' to display what I want to see above my posts, which I do like! I just use my first name and put the zone info et all as my last name, BINGO, LOVE IT!

• Tamara
    9 years ago

Harryshoe -- I understand that you are frustrated and having some difficulties with the changes and it's okay to post about it. However, your disrespectful comments are inappropriate. The name of this company is Houzz and I have yet to come across any clowns who work here. These people are good and smart and dedicated to this product. They've worked long hours and have been incredibly responsive to suggestions and comments and want nothing more than this to be a positive experience for everyone. I've worked as a community manager for nearly 20 years and have been through my share of forum moves/closings/relaunches with different companies. It is never easy or without strife. But, without question, Houzz has been the best to work with and they are 100% committed to this community. And, without Houzz, the most likely scenario is that GardenWeb would have been shuttered.

If you have an issue or need a question answered, you are welcome to post here or contact us directly. As I'm sure you've already noticed, many of your fellow GardenWebbers have also been amazingly helpful and have been sharing tips and suggestions. It looks like you were able to change your display name to the one you wanted. Also, I've confirmed your email for you so that you will no longer be annoyed by the banner.

• irawon zone 5a Ottawa.ca
    9 years ago

I can no longer post pictures but was able to before. The field at the bottom of this comment screen that used to read "add photo", has changed to just "photo". I was just over at another thread with the heading PICTURES. It appears some of us can add pictures and others can't. I haven't changed my method for adding pictures...I upload them directly from my desktop.

Edit (Sat, Feb 14, 2014 3PM): When editing a comment at the old GW forums, the date and time of the edit would show. Some of us would indicate what we edited.

Update: My "photo" button still isn't working BUT I can upload one picture at a time from my desktop using the "houzz photo" button.

My original date stamp before editing my post was yesterday 10:04 AM. I wonder if it changes due to the edit.

NO, the date stamp does not change

• tsbccowboy
    9 years ago

Irawon, if you click on the "photo" icon, you should be able to upload a photo from your computer, the same as "add photo" used to be.

• Tamara
    9 years ago

Hi Irawon - They've been doing some updating to the photo upload tool and it's possible that you may have tried to upload a photo when they were rolling it out. It looks like it's working okay now - can you give it another shot?

Good news, though -- you can now upload 10 photos to your post!

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Tamara, I will say that I personally think your team is doing a very good job from what I have seen on implementing all the changes. I like the 10 photos to a post and like the idea of "photo" and "houzz photo". If I may make one suggestion it would be in "Houzz photo" if the picture you uploaded went to your idea book. What I find frustrating, probably because I am not used to it yet, is that if I am in the middle of posting and I want to upload a file to my idea book I lose my reply when I click on "Your Houzz" to upload a file. At the moment I have to highlight and copy which proves to be problematic for me when multitasking.

As well, I did send an email about trying to regain my last username but haven't heard back since Tuesday. Is this due to a huge volume or that nothing can be done?

thanks

SCG

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

Why is a vertical format photo showing up sideways. Posted from my iPad on the pictures thread.

9 years ago

@sunnywood that is due to the orientation your iPad or iPhone when you took the picture. Those devices know which way you intended but other computers don't and the default is landscape. When taking a picture with an iPad or iPhone make sure the home button is either down or too the right, If it is UP or to the LEFT your pic will be wrong on forums and other computers.

SCG

• Tamara
    9 years ago

Hi SCG -

I've noticed that you do lose your place when you leave the page -- I'll check on that. In the meantime, you might want to open two tabs in your browser and switch to the other tab if you have to stop to upload. I know it's not the optimal choice, but it's a workaround for now.

We have had a large number of username emails and they are working on a tool that will allow us to easily combine accounts. I apologize for the delay, but they are working on getting it up and running very shortly.

9 years ago

@Tamara Thanks, it is another workaround I am also using, if I remember. Old habits die hard! I look forward to the tool to combine usernames back. Will be nice to be myself back!

SCG

9 years ago

SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC - Check out the reply I made to Harryshoe 18 hours ago if you see this right away. You can fix your name easily.

9 years ago

peren.all - Thanks, I realize I can change my name but I want my username back. It wasn't that it was conflicting with another just that there was an error when they transferred the data. Since there was no conflict other than a database error I don't see why I can't :)

Thanks again :)

SCG

9 years ago

Hmm, I am a little slow on the uptake and just realized why a few people are upset about the terms of use agreement and pictures. It just occurred to me that before on GW we used third party sites to host the picture of which a link through an HTML tag showed the picture. So the picture was never really on GW rather just the link. Now Houzz has uploaded all those pictures and claim rights to them. It would be different if they informed us of this before hand giving us the opportunity to remove such content but even I, a fairly active member, never seen such a warning. More people probably would be upset if they just put the link in but uploading the pictures was assuming we considered the link to be the picture. Especially when under their own "terms of use" they only have rights to the link.

While I have learned my lesson about uploading pictures I don't want used by other parties I can understand why some people are upset. And I totally agree with them, it wasn't right.

Not trying to stir the pot or anything just wanted to help others understand why some people are so upset about it.

SCG

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Trying the photobucket challenge.... On photobucket I used the "DIRECT "link area... seems to have worked.

• tsbccowboy
    9 years ago

Good find Leafwatcher!

Did you just copy the Direct link area into your post?

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Leafwatcher, just tried that, it would not work for me.

9 years ago

Was trying that Cowboy , no joy.

• tsbccowboy
    9 years ago

I just tried it, too. It is not working for me either.

9 years ago

Mabey they are changing it again.......argh!

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

SouthCountryGuy, what do you mean "they only" have rights to the photo? Are you saying we lose our rights to the photos we upload here?

9 years ago

By posting a photo here you retain copyright rights but allow them explicit use of such.

SCG

• Ludicious Acres
    9 years ago

SCG you summed up my fears in a nutshell - I am quoting you directly here:

"before on GW we used third party sites to host the picture of which a link through an HTML tag showed the picture. So the picture was never really on GW rather just the link. Now Houzz has uploaded all those pictures and claim rights to them. It would be different if they informed us of this before hand giving us the opportunity to remove such content but even I, a fairly active member, never seen such a warning. More people probably would be upset if they just put the link in but uploading the pictures was assuming we considered the link to be the picture. Especially when under their own "terms of use" they only have rights to the link."

Now my own words:

The abundance of links to social media scares the hell out of me as well ... If I wanted to discuss my hostas and gardens on Facebook, Twitter, or whatever other social media site I would do it ... there !

I don't mean to say that GW didn't use social media in some settings, but it appears to me that the overall structure of Houzz is a mimicry of those platforms, probably because from a business standpoint they 'work' ... but when did a simple gardening forum become a business ?

I know I am making hugely gross over generalizations, but if it looks like a duck and it sounds like a duck ...

Ugh, it just all seems gimmicky to me ... and like I said in my other post, I feel exposed here where I never did on GW.

I know I am not helping those that have found a new home on Houzz, but I am just really bummed at the whole situation and as such am even less motivated to become active again.

FWIW and Thanks for Listening,

Ludi

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Ludi, I agree with most of what you say. It's not a warm or inviting style, either. I'm sure it's meant to be clean lines and modern feeling, but it's on the cold side.

The "facebooky" stuff is not to my taste either. It kind of reminds me of that commercial for the dating site for old folks - you know the one where the dumb blonde says, "It feels just like high school."

I wonder how it will be this spring. You know how it always gets so busy with everyone posting their first pips, their first flowers, their new acquisitions and then all the NOID questions and the HVX questions.

I wonder if all the newbies will find us at Houzz?

I suppose we'll see what we'll see. You know, when Phil died, everyone felt like he was a friend, even if we only knew each other at Gardenweb. They may not be able to duplicate that.

bk

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Ludi, I can relate to your concerns. I don't participate in social media because I love my privacy. No Facebook, no Twitter, no nothing. I do NOT want a "social profile" made of me. Makes me doubly glad I didn't submit a picture to the thread "It's An About Face," even though I personally enjoyed seeing everyone who did.

Now, as far as my pictures go I'd have to say at this point I don't mind Houzz using my photos, perhaps because I'm naive to the harm that could do. I found a Hosta company in Canada who is using a photo I took of one of my Hostas for their online catalog. I had submitted the photo to the HL and then discovered the Canadian company using it. I haven't complained even though they're not giving me credit for it because it just doesn't bother me. In truth, I'm kind of tickled. But that's just me.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I am not on social media sites either, and my Photobucket library is marked private. Ludi- Yes! You said it so well. Somehow I feel more exposed here too. That is the feeling. But then, everything you post on the internet is no longer "yours". A couple years ago, when I happened upon a website where one of my pics was being used to sell hostas, I asked the nursery to please give me credit for the photo. They refused, saying that they paid a PR firm to collect those photos and set them up on their website. Not worth hiring a lawyer. Just PO'd me. Bob at the HL says it happens all the time even tho there is a statement on the home page stating that the photos are the property of the Hosta Library. Be VERY aware of what you put on the internet.

-Babka

9 years ago

Tamara,

I apologize for my comments. Because I am a retiree with a strange sense of humor, I feel everyone should expect me to be a cantankerous curmudgeon unable to deal with change.

It's important that each of us give this time. Most likely, things will work out.

Harry

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Leafwatcher, I love that photo of the snake among the Hosta leaves. Can you ID the snake?

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

GW exposed us. Has anyone done a Google search for a certain hosta and found our photos from GW? Nothing posted on the internet is private.

I remember Spike also. He could fix anything. I also remember when this went to a paid site. The comments then. And I to was gone for a while. Give the site time. We will soon be old pros at loading photos. So far I have seen many changes to keep the site as close to GW as possible. I am going to work on video tomorrow as soon as I learn how to work the camera. LOL

Leafwatcher that is one scary snake!

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

OMG, Paula, you're right! Just did a search on something I posted here last night and it's already OUT THERE on the web! Need an emoticon tearing its hair out.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Frankly, I'm not concerned, nor surprised, nor alarmed. When I joined this forum I was fully aware that whatever I wrote or uploaded would be viewed by anyone in the world who cared to read it. Nothing has changed in that regard.

If you post a picture, of course you will find it "out there". I've recognized many of my pics, along with others from the forum out there in google land. If you don't want it used, safeguard it. Otherwise, take satisfaction in knowing that someone, somewhere out there, may view your pics and garden and really get enjoyment out of them. You may bring someone joy simply by posting a picture of a beautiful hosta.

Sharing and spreading joy is a wonderful thing. I thank everyone who has ever posted a pic and added their gardening wisdom on this forum. It's made me happy. It's educational. It's fun!:-)

• DelawareDonna Zone 7A
    9 years ago

I side with you, Jo. I love seeing my photos on the internet. I've searched for all my hosta, and I'm thrilled when I see my photos.

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

Hostatakeover, it was a photoshop I did for fun awhile back.. You would never catch me that close to anything but a garden snake ! :P

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Oooohhhhh....lol! Sure looks real to me. And venomous.

• Tamara
    9 years ago

Harry - All's forgiven. You've always been one of my favorite curmudgeons. ;)

Just a note to everyone about the worry about rights and ownership of content. Houzz's terms of use is really no different than most websites -- it's pretty standard boilerplate language. GardenWeb's terms were nearly identical. Basically, it means that you will always own your photos, but if you post them on the site, Houzz has the right to use them. Some of you might remember a similar brouhaha when NBC acquired GW. I know that it sounds a bit scary, but it really isn't. GardenWeb would feature photos on Facebook or in FAQs or on the side rail of the site. That eye candy is what hooks people! ;)

Also, search engines - like Google - are pretty efficient. They have robots that crawl sites and index information constantly and that's why you will see your photos out there so quickly. GardenWebbers have always been so generous in sharing your knowledge and photos and I hope that you'll continue to help others in this way.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Yes, I'm already over the shock of seeing my Hosta photos out there. I always wondered why mine never appeared when there were so many other photos that did. Now I know. Kinda neat seeing them out there, but I imagine they'll work their way down as more appear.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

If you click on the pictures you will discover they were from the hosta forum. I have found many that were submitted from Myrle , myself and many others from the old hosta forum. I guess if we didn't want them on here , it is best not to post them. I have noticed if people we know that are in a winning sport and typing in their names , you can find loads of pictures and information of those too. I have a few grandchildren in sport events and have found many pictures of them I never had before

9 years ago

I have not yet figured out how to post a photo from Photobucket. Has anyone done so? In another forum I can use the img link.

When I click the photo button, I get a list of Word documents.

Help.

Harry

9 years ago

harryshoe - In this forum check out the thread "Trying to get a link to work" It is all about posting with Photobucket and Flicker.

9 years ago

I'll try using the "Direct" link from Photobucket as suggested above.

Is there a way to preview a post?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/harryshoe/DSC_0082_zps10ae3d05.jpg

• tsbccowboy
    9 years ago

Harryshoe,

When you click the photo icon and get the list of word documents, do you see "File name:" on the bottom, left-hand side of the screen? If so, copy the Photobucket direct link into the "File name:" area and select the "Open" icon or hit the enter key.

Cowboy