SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alerievay1

Need ideas for "temporary" changes before large remodel

alerievay1
9 years ago

We are moving to a late 1950s ranch that has a small 9 x 10 sort of L-shaped/corner kitchen. I have a hand-drawn plan of it and the surrounding rooms linked below (to scale, as best I know the measurements). It's not a terrible layout, and we plan to live with it for at least a year before doing any major changes.

The biggest problems are:

1. Lack of any pantry/appliance storage. There are 2 closet options, but they are really too far away to be helpful.

2. Limited counter space. I am used to an island at this point, and I am worried I will need some sort of kitchen cart or other additional counter.

3. Small oven. I am actually not too concerned about this, but the wall oven is 24". My plan is to purchase a 24" steam convection oven to replace the microwave, which will then be used in whatever remodel we do.

Idea:

Initially, we thought to eventually expand the kitchen into the room to the bottom on this photo (the room with the bay window). This is the original formal dining room in the home. However, the wall between the two rooms is almost definitely load-bearing, and it may not make sense. Plus, I have reservations about the flow, since that is right off the formal living room and would be visible from the front entrance.

My current idea is to eventually expand into the larger dining room (the room with the fireplace). In line with that, I am considering building in one or two tall pantry cabinets now, then adding some lower cabinets for a buffet/bar area.

Does this sound reasonable? Any other ideas for pantry storage?

{{gwi:2144597}}

(I'm not sure anyone remembers my mostly original 1930s kitchen, but we decided to sell that house and move to a new one. In preparation for that, we did a minor update that was a HUGE improvement for very little money. Will post about it someday.)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!