SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Can you help with temporary kitchen floor ideas?

caroline94535
13 years ago

I posted this on the Flooring Forum, too; but I wanted to see what creative ideas I might find here!

We will be doing a complete kitchen remodel in about a year or so. In the meantime...

The kitchen floor, until today, was covered with 30-year-old carpet. Need I say more? Nasty, nasty, nasty.

DH tore it out today. It had been glued to the vinyl tiles underneath, but it came up easily.

We need temporary flooring. I want it to be easy to install, low cost, and able to be mopped with hot water and cleanser.

Under the carpet was tile that is covered with glue swirls. Most of the glue came up with the carpet. Under the tile is a black layer of ??? It looks almost like old tar paper or roofing paper. We'd like to wait to tear out the tile and paper when the contractor removes everything else.

Can we lay a sheet vinyl on top of the tile without tearing everything out to the subfloor? The new flooring doesn't have to be "perfect." It just has to be clean, dry, and serviceable. I have to be able to mop my floors, often.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comments (5)