SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guvnah_gw

Before & after kitchen - need island ideas please!!!

guvnah
15 years ago

Hi -

At some point several months ago, I posted asking for input on a lakehouse kitchen remodel. I can't find it - but I always enjoy seeing before & after shots - so here's ours.

Done on a very tight budget:

1) We painted paneling & took down heavy drapes.

2) Ripped out all old cabinets & got "new" cabinets on craigslist for $250. Of course we worked like crazy trying to fit them in & used cabinet fronts to make the very shallow pantry on the right. It helped moving the fridge so it didn't stick into the windows.

3) Bought close-out tile at Lowes - .04/per tile - for the backsplash. We ended up using it for the fireplace hearth & the shower surround & floor in the bathroom too!

4) Dark gray laminate for the countertops because we had it already.

5) Like-new fridge & dishwasher from craigslist for $300/pair. They had just moved into a house & wanted SS instead of white.

Still need a vent hood over stove. Also plan to replace the kitchen table with an island. In addition to acting as a visual room divider, we'd like extra storage on the kitchen side & a place for stools on the LR side. No water or power run to it. We will probably end up making it. Should it be white like the cabinets with the same counter top with maybe a cutting board insert?

I'm linking to a few pictures: kitchen & living room will give you an idea of room size & how this island will be viewed.

Any idea will be greatly appreciated! Pictures of your large islands would be great!

Here is a link that might be useful: need island where table is

Comments (13)