SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Front yard, before, after and what next? Open for ideas!

User
9 years ago

Hi All! We live on a hill and last fall the township we live in reconfigurated our front yard so the easement where our driveway exits would meet code for a new safety path. In the end, we basically ended up with new landscape and a driveway in exchange for our cooperation with the project. The timing was crazy perfect for us as we had just started talking about what was needed out there (um everything??) vs. what we could afford and when. Anyways, the before shots are pretty bad, but keep in mind we didn't mow because the workers were due that week.

So far this spring we plan on having the house power washed and I want to paint the door and shutters. Not sure of a color but leaning towards teal. I also want to add some plantings but I am no gardener and I'm completely lost. Hubby says he wants the bricks in front of our porch to stay, but I really want to plant something colorful there like hydrangeas maybe. If I can give him a good plan I might be able to sway him. We're in zone 6. Anyways, I am so tickled because we went from this:

To this!

We also added the railings last year which I really love. These are the bricks between the porch sidewalk that I'd like to remove. What do you think?

If the bricks stay, what can be done there? Any and all ideas are welcome and appreciated, just please keep them budget friendly if you can! Thanks!

Comments (51)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Planters? A bench?

• User
    9 years ago

I agree with you. Remove the bricks and create a planting space there. Lots of shade. I'd plant impatiens in that spot every spring. They do great in shade and you can change colors and color patterns yearly if you want. Plant them fairly close together (4" apart) and they'll grow thick and colorful and gorgeous.

Nice changes!

If you wan to add hydrangeas, I'd put a few along the left side, by the trees.

• Related Discussions

Front Yard Landscaping in Louisiana - Next Step

Q

Comments (1)
    Hey, I think the idea of replacing the Japanese Maple with an Eastern Redbud is a good one. The fact that there are few of these in your area is always a good sign that they will do well in your home. With the tree being a flowering ornamental tree will also give your garden a lively dynamic through the seasons Here is a link that might be useful: front yard landscaping ideas
    ...See More

Before and After - The North Side Yard

Q

Comments (10)
    I can truly say I had no idea it would look that good only a few months after it looked the same for 20 years. I had a lot of help from my GW friends. Those are Roselee's Salvia Madrensis. Did you see Rock Rose posted about them over the weekend? She seems to think they might not be hardy here. The combination does look good. Yellow and Purple = complementary colors so each brings out the best in the other. It was an accident this time, but I'll probably do it on purpose again.
    ...See More

a before and after of something in the yard....

Q

Comments (14)
    My 81yo mom still lives in a big old house that we kids grew up in and had my Dad's office in the front. I wish that she would move to a smaller all on one floor place with less out door care, but she doesn't want to and its not my decision. The old pool is just a hole the ground with no water in it since the lining degraded, and since it has a sand bottom there's actually plants growing in it. She also had a pile of junk near it by the fence. A few years ago the neighbors complained to the town about the junk and the safety of the pool. So my brother arranged to take the pile of junk away (it really wasn't anything she would use) and she arranged to have an additonal 4 foot welded vinyl wire fence put around the pool including inside the taller wood fence that blocked the neighbors view of the pool because that was also getting old. BTW it would be very difficult for a toddler to get into her yard from the complaining neighbors house because there is also a fence along the property line. She didn't bother to have the gate put back in around the pool. I stupidly didnt' remove the tires that used to hold the cover down until the new fence went up but I'm sure it was good for me to fling ice and water filled tires over the fence which I then took to the dump. The rules had changed since the pool was put in decades ago and part of her fence had been only 3 ft, so now it was 4 feet per the code and the pile of old metal garbage gone. Well that wasn't enough for the official in her town. He said she had to fill the pool in. She looked into it, and talk about a lot of money! I went with her to meet with him, with the code in hand and he insisted that if she kept the pool she had to meet the standard in fencing for railings on open stairways! (A pool fence is supposed to keep out LITTLE children, a big kid or adult could just use the gate that most pools have.) Her fence, which was double in most places, the 3 ft and 4 ft together clearly met the standard. But he kept referring to it as "chicken wire" even though I corrected him several times. Every time he said it he would smile smugly. He also proudly informed us that he'd made a half dozen people fill in their old pools. Meanwhile out in back of the building where these offices were there was an old cellar hole full of water with a few sticks and some caution tape around it! I took a picture of that as well as the toy filled yard across the street. Well luckily my husband is the type who reads irs bulletins for fun, and he is very familiar with building codes, and he's a force to be reckoned with. He wrote a four page letter to the official and cc'd it to the city manager and the city attorney both of whom he knew a little bit, and he tore apart the arguements of the official referring to the code by number and paragraph. We haven't heard anything since, and I've got my fingers crossed. It still make me mad when ever I see fencing that my home town hired someone to enforce codes who doesn't even know what chickenwire is. I'd like to make some trouble, but I'm worried it would come back on my mom. Live Free or Die! as we say in NH. Strawberrygoat, I hope you find some allies. I think that is what you need. Kathy
    ...See More

Front yard re-design ideas needed

Q

Comments (6)
    The house could easily stand an enhanced pedestrian approach to the entrance, as it is presently, not truly inviting. Are cars typically parked in the drive and people need to skirt them in order to get to the front door? Then you may want to widen the drive, flaring it to include the walk to the front door. If cars are not usually in the way, then you could just extend the walk partway along the drive edge. keeping the rest of the drive the same width as it is now. What you do will depend on needs and budget. It would be backwards to make calls to contractors for rejuvenating the yard, before you have a landscape design. Getting ideas here might be a start, but those ideas must be converted to a PLAN before they are meaningful. Either you must make the plan, or you need to hire a landscape designer to make it. That may be a service offered by a landscape contractor (some can and some can't) but then you'll be paying them for the design service, even if the fee is hidden in the construction work. One function of design is getting the proposed work to fit within the budget. If you want to make hardscape changes, the cost can add up quickly. Be sure the designer knows what you're trying to accomplish with the allotted budget. It's best to know up front if the desires are possible ... or unrealistic.
    ...See More
  • bpath
    9 years ago

I'm on hubby's side: leave the bricks and put pots there. You can change them out all year long. Plant on the other side of the walkway. You can't really see anything right in front of the porch railing from the house, or from the porch, either, and plantings will block the view of the pretty railing. But a garden on the other side of the walk can be designed to look good from all sides. And it will create a nice "courtyard" for you.

Notice, however, that the bricks slope towards the house, I bet you get a good puddle there when it rains. Raise them so they drain toward the driveway and sidewalk.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I love the changes! What a difference!

Oh ya, the bricks have to go. I love the idea of a row of hydrangeas across the front. The nice thing about hydrangeas is that they dry nicely and look good all fall and winter, too. They also need very little upkeep. Just cut them back in the spring and you're good to go (disclaimer: where I live, zone 3, the only hydrangeas we can use are the very hardy white ones. So I'm not familiar with growing coloured ones).

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

Hi Lukki! Score for the free landscaping out front & a really pretty property! I am a brick lover, but agree with you that those should be re-purposed. I'd make that a low-growing plant bed and use the brick to form an edge for mulch so it won't wash out.

I also love hydrangeas but they can tend to grow big, at least in zone 7, so would reserve those for the left side. In front of the porch, I'd stick with something more manageable in size such as a trio of azaleas. Pick out some with a pretty deep green leaf to show off and then border with some variegated hosta. I'm saying this as if you don't have a deer problem.

On the left side I'd sweep out a bed at least 6 feet starting from the corner, rounding out at the corner. Put in something tall and thin there like a Sky Pencil Holly (they grow slowly and won't require trimming for several years), then put your hydrangeas in a good 2-3 feet from the foundation. Border with 3-5 dwarf nandina (there are several varieties, so make sure you get a good, true dwarf), and you can plant annuals for color in the foreground. Done.

It looks like you have a bit of a slope over on the left side and some tilling and grass removal to do if you make a planting bed here, so I'd make sure you try to even this up a big and border with metal edging or repurpose those brick for edging and a mowing strip. Also, amend the soil with some Black Kow and a couple of bags of topsoil. Worth it in the long run.

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's probably too small an area for hydrangeas. Even though the concrete will limit their size, the branches will encroach on your walkway. The corner of your house could use an anchor like a large hydrangea or shrub.

You could remove the brick and replace it with flagstones and grow a groundcover between the stones. That would give you a more attractive base for pots. I would rather maintain annuals in a pot where you can control water and fertilizer. Large pots will also give you some needed color. They're not cheap though.

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

Nice improvements...isn't it fun?! I didn't notice at first that you have a two story; how about trimming the lower branches from the tree next to the driveway to better show off your lovely house.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Another vote for removing the bricks, but if DH insists then a lot of pots and a pretty bench will work as others suggested. I also agree it would look nice to extend the bed in a curved fashion on the other side of the walkway as well as a large bed on the left side.

When money permits, I would make the walkway curved and enlarge the step up to the front porch maybe making it a semicircle to break up all the straight lines.

What a pretty setting! The city did a nice job,

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Wow, you are "lukki!" The city did a great job, and your new driveway and landscaping looks so nice! Good for you!

The bricks probably need to be pulled up to regrade the area to drain away from the house, so I bet your DH would rather have a new flowerbed than redo the whole thing :-)

I'd put in low shrubs and annuals. I think hydrangeas need a bigger area, maybe to the left of your house. And yes, trim the lowest branches of your big tree in front, so you can see your pretty house.

• shepherdess28
    9 years ago

If your husband loves the bricks, you could use them as the base for some large potted flowers.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Oh, I would leave the bricks and put beautiful, large containers for plants and perhaps a bench. Agree that the large tree in the very front needs to be limbed up or, gasp, cut down. Cut down would be my preference, because it hides your very nice house.

• gramarows
    9 years ago

Agree with leaving the bricks, but resetting after grading, and using polymeric sand to keep the area clean from weeds going forward. You will have a weed free area of low upkeep next to the house that will remain neat and clean. Enhance with a couple very large pots of flowers spilling over with a bench between and it will look great, be easy to upkeep, and purposeful. Add the bed on the other side of the walk as suggested earlier, when you are ready.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Outside playing has a great plan for you. The only thing I'd change is in front of the railing (at the front - close to the sidewalk) add in a few flowing plants - Tib has a good idea with the impatients. I would also consider planting a clematis or some other type vine to grow up one of the railings or you could always use a wooden pole or trellis to let the vine grow up. Love Outside's ideas for the other side. Our front is "trellised" at one end. I believe that is what the landscaper called it. Kind of steps down a level and on the lower level is a blue atlas cedar. It anchors the bed well and adds height - which you need on that end of your house. We have some dwarf nandinas that have the blue/red/green leaves. I would have to google to find what variety but they add color and look great with the blue atlas. I agree with trimming the tree or possibly even removing. Not sure if that is a consideration??? I'd also put a pretty planter maybe at the corner of the sidewalk and/or on the porch for more blooming plants. Looks great - can't wait to see what you do!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Just a note on impatients. In our area, they were not available anywhere at all last year (except for the New Guinea ones which I don't like) because of a new mildew or fungus issue, can't remember which. If the nurseries find a cure, they may return.

I like the suggestion of a bench and pots once the bricks are levelled. I think a Hydrangea tardiva would be wonderful to the left of the house past where the walkway turns to the house. Give it about 3-4 feet from the end of the walk. I love the tardivas-open branching habit. Then, add hostas, ferns, astilbe, and other shade perenials in that area, too.

Isn't it nice when things actually work out?! Have fun!

• User
    9 years ago

cyn, we had the mildew problem with the impatiens two years ago, but I had terrific luck with my impatiens last year (zone 7). They came in beautifully.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Tib, the nurseries here weren't even stocking them! :(

We are zone 7, too. I will keep my fingers crossed for this year. I love them!

• User
    9 years ago

Good luck, Cyn. I think they'd be so pretty in the shade under lukki's porch. They're a wonderful shade flower, so colorful.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you ALL so much! I've been looking forward all day to reading your ideas! And I'm really surprised at the split between loosing and keeping the bricks! Yes, they do puddle which is why I wanted to pull them up originally. We're having a shed installed in the rear behind the garage and I thought we could repurpose them for a walkway of some sort back there. These pictures are from last fall, and the tree has been shored up a bit since then, but I agree, it needs more. It's an oak and has to be trimmed when it is dormant during winter. We wanted to wait until after we had a plan before cutting it back more. I know it covers the view from the street, but we do like the shade it offers so it has to stay.

Outside, thank you for the plant and bedding idea. I am the farthest thing from a gardener one can be so your detail is appreciated. I will look those plants up to see how they would work. We do have deer, not a lot but some. I was also thinking maybe Day Lillie's might work well as a bed plant on the left side too. I take it Black Kow is a fertilizer of some sort right? I'll see if our local nursery has it cause if the condition of the Hosta plants under the window are any indication, our soil is in need of help.

Daisy, that was my idea too about the Hydrangeas, they are so pretty and I love the idea of being able to bring the flowers in. The slope of the yard starts right at the walk way so we can't put anything there but, Mayflower's idea of anchoring the corner of the house with one is perfect! Maybe under the window? I also like Joanie's idea of a bench if we keep the bricking and add pots instead. The pots are a good compromise to removing the brick, definitely food for thought.

Also, I'm not thrilled with the green shutters and was thinking of repainting both them and the door. What do you think of a darker teal for the shutter and a shade or two lighter for the door? Maybe something in this color family:

I can't wait to show dear hubby this thread, you guys are the best! Thanks so much!

• User
    9 years ago

Do you like to sit outside in the backyard? Can you build a fire pit with the bricks?

• engrgirl
    9 years ago

If you want more votes! The teal is great for the door/shutters. i love the pop of color. I'd remove the bricks and do low growing things (sorry I don't know your zone to suggest what) so you can still see the railing and keep the "porch" area open, and put hydrangeas in front of the house to the left of the front door. I'm so happy to see a city improvement that looks great- I think a lot of people are afraid the city makes things worse, but yours looks great! Congrats!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Wow! I had not heard that about the impatiens. No problems in our area, that I am aware of. They were plentiful here last year.

I think the teal door and shutters would look great.

• User
    9 years ago

Judging by the number of bricks across, the bricked area is about 36" wide which would make the concrete not much more than two feet wide---definitely not wide enough. I'd keep the brick.

Re-setting the bricks is a good idea as they clearly slope down towards your house foundation. Any flowers you put there that have to be watered will also contribute to a water problem in the future, and three feet of space is not enough for even supposedly dwarf hydrangeas (ask me how I know this). I think a single file line of traditionally shaped flower pots with colorful flowers would brighten up that space and add a nicely quirky touch as well.

The new landscaping looks fabulous, as does the railing!

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

Love the teal color you show for the shutters and door. I'd coordinate any colorful annuals with that color; impatiens come in various shades of pinks, fuschia and white generally and would be great complement in the border of your beds.

Black Kow is composted cow manure and would act as a slow fertilizer. You would need a bag or two for each bed to work in with a bag of top soil. You can also get it at Lowe's or Home Depot as a rule if your nursery doesn't carry it. It's pretty cheap and worth it to help condition your soil. Warning - it will smell pretty earthy for a couple of days but then that odor goes away.

• User
    9 years ago

The orange impatiens would look gorgeous with that door behind them too. Any would, actually. One thing I love about impatiens is that you can do them completely differently from year to year if you want.

Multi-colored bed of impatiens

A couple of colors:

Monochrome

Patterned

• Fori
    9 years ago

I'd like to live there. So nice!

Teal, yes.

Bricks, no. Not like they are now. Either redo them and then cover with planters, or yank them and repurpose them as edging material. I think you can make hydrangeas behave there. Giant fat hostas would be nice but I like how hydrangeas keep some sticks through the winter.

Have you been to the landscaping forum on (ex)gardenweb? I don't know if its activity has made it through The Change, but it's worth checking.

• User
    9 years ago

It's hard to keep a base of bricks looking nice over time, and I would want it to look clean and neat being that it's your entrance, which is why I suggest flagstones. Last year we took out a sloppy brick path and replaced it with flagstones. It was easy and only cost about $25 for the stones. Our soil is hard-packed clay, so we set the stones and leveled them with sand. We filled in around them with colorful crushed rock. I suggested a groundcover to fill in between the flagstones to add some green because of your concrete walkway and driveway. You'd place your flagstones closer together than mine, so you should be able to make it look like a mini patio. With the flagstones, you'd have a solid base for a bench with pots on each side. You could hang planters between the posts.

If you plant in that bed, you'll probably want to replace all the soil and raise it several inches. It could be rock under there--that's what I found when I tried to make beds along my patios. They had dumped the left-over rock from the patio bases alongside them.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Not sure how much you want to invest in this project, but I'd do a compromise by getting rid of the brick and the concrete walkway, and instead using the brick (add more if necessary) to create a more relaxed and rounded walkway that curves out more toward the drive rather than the very rectangular shape now. That would allow for more graceful planting beds near the house and on the other side of the walk as well as and you'd still be keeping the brick on the front of the house.

Custom Homes by Reynolds Architecture · More Info
    Front entrance · More Info
    Cozy Cottage · More Info

Or maybe do a mix of concrete with brick edging so it blends with the step.

Cedar Brush Residence · More Info

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Love the teal.

• Andee
    9 years ago

After reading Annie's suggestion, I think the ideal solution is to take up the brick and repurpose it as edging for the concrete sidewalk. This will make the sidewalk nicer looking and improve its functionality. You can then fix your drainage, and put in some small plantings in front of the railing (or still use pots). Just as an aside, the blue/pink hydrangeas bloom on last year's growth so _do not_ cut back in the spring. Deer feast on my day lilies.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, I cut my hydrangeas back last spring. No blooms last summer. :-( I THEN read you're not supposed to do that. My bad.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Prune H. paniculata and h. Arborescens (Annabelle) in late winter if necessary. I rarely prune mine because they can get floppy with large flowers. The mophead or lacecaps really never need to be pruned except for rejuvenation when they are older. Then, only take out a third of the old branches. Best to prune those in July. :)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow wow wow! Love all the pictures! Thank you so much! Tibbrix, those flowers are gorgeous! I usually hang baskets of those or something similar every spring, but they never seem to be THAT full or pretty. Looking at the pics with the volumes of them makes a world of difference. The colors would really pop with the door. And that's what I feel the front is lacking more than anything is color! Funny you should mention a fire pit. The backyard is as large if not a bit larger than the front and it treed. We have a deck and spend a lot of time back there running our lab. Our SIL told us a few weeks ago that he is going to build us a fire pit as a gift.

Black Kow is on the list for Home Depot. Have never heard of it! Thanks Outside!

Thank you Fori, I haven't been to the garden forum mainly because I know everyone here, and was more comfortable, especially with the fugly house pics. :c)

May, Your walkway is great and the garden is so lush! You obviously have one of those magic green thumbs. I really like the idea of the flagstone, especially with mossy grasses growing around it, but I've always thought of it as a stone for warmer climates. how does it hold up in extreme cold? We're in zone 6 and hit -18 before the wind chill this past winter.

Annie, your idea is a great one, and I would love to be able to do something like that! (Those photos are beautiful examples) but the budget won't allow for it. Most everything we are doing this year is DIY and with dh's myeloma, his physical abilities are so limited.

Deer feed on Day Lillies? Oh crud! I love the deer so much but geeze....

Oh well, glad to see all the yeahs for the teal! At least I know I'm headed in the right direction! I hope everyone has a super great Easter!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We keep the deer out of our day lilies by staking bars of ivory soap around them. The deer don't like the smell so they leave the plants alone.

• rockybird
    9 years ago

What a beautiful green setting and home! I love it. I would remove the brick and plant. I just put in a bunch of plants in a flower beds about that size and I am really happy with the results.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, that is such an easy fix! We have neighbors with some bright orange ones in their side yard. I love the way they look.

Thank you Rocky! what did you plant? can you post a pic or two? Sure would love to see them!

I just realized one of the pics I thought I posted didn't upload. This is a better view of the porch, the milk can was there when we moved in and hides the water well. Would love to put something a little nicer there!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Such a pretty porch, that's why I wouldn't plant right up against it...you couldn't see it! And if you plan the garden for the other side of the walk, you can enjoy it from the house, the porch, the walkway, and the street.

I think you could beef up the shutters and the porch posts for a more solid look. How about some ferns hanging between the posts in summertime?

• seww1
    9 years ago

I haven't read all the replies but I'd start with some serious tree trimming! Then watch how the light changes and then you'll know what to plant, shade/sun.

Sue

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

I love Annie's idea to repurpose the bricks into a curved walkway! You have a wonderful lot and a really cute house! I think adding some plantings in the space between the walkway and the porch is a great idea.

• User
    9 years ago

My flagstones went through the winter fine, but we only get down to about 20 degrees. Are you worried about frost heave? I don't know whether it will make a difference in your extreme climate, but here concrete keeps the surrounding area warmer. Also, as pretty as it is, you can't just add the bricks to edge the concrete because your lawn isn't level with the sidewalk. You'd need to level it and mortar them in because they most likely will shift from frost heave.

I also have a few tumbled bluestone pavers off my deck with blue star creeper planted in between. They're a heavier stone than flagstone so maybe they would work for you. Visit a stoneyard to see what they use in your area.

Just looked up blue star creeper on the Stepables website and it's good for shade and survives up to -20 degrees with snow cover. They show a photo of it with stones and a stone bench.

http://www.stepables.com/

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May, that is really really lovely! I like that more than the flagstone! But if he is already insisting we keep the brick, I know my husband would never agree to remove the sidewalk. I'm afraid that that direction is pretty much a moot point. However, it would work perfectly for a project I'm planning in the back of the house. We're going to install a fire pit and I want to make it a nice sitting spot with benches. I think that stone with a mossy ground cover would compliment what we want to do perfectly.

• User
    9 years ago

No, I don't think you should remove the sidewalk either. You're on a budget. I'm suggesting removing the brick and replacing it with stone with something like blue star creeper planted between them. One, you don't know what's under the brick, so if you wanted to plant, you'd need to dig it out, amend, raise it up as much as 12". Two, if you replace the brick with shrubs, it can be a little colorless and need regular pruning to keep it neat. I don't like wild shrubs at an entryway. You do need shrubs under your window and could use something large to anchor the corner. Someone in your area might suggest some attractive, well-behaved shrubs--I like box honeysuckles for shade but IDK if they grow in your area. Three, annuals alone wouldn't work because you'll have bare soil October until June or July--annuals need heat to take off here, especially in the shade. So that's my thinking--a pretty stone mini patio with some greenery between the stones, with pots for color that can be seen from the road.

Another thing you could do is just take out some of the bricks along the edges and corners, and maybe a few in between, and plant groundcovers in the holes. Then proceed with pots.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oooooh!!! okay okay. I got it now! That would be pretty, I just love that blue star stone and am going to check it out locally. I think the space may be a bit narrow for the blue star and you are right, I don't have a clue as to what is under there for planting; I hadn't even thought about that. Removing a few of the bricks and adding a cover to fill the gaps is a very creative idea and may be something I could talk my DH into doing. Thank you for coming back to clarify May! Even though I have always loved the way that looks, I would have never thought to work with any of the stones or brick like that!

• User
    9 years ago

Blue star creeper mounds up and will cover the edges of the stone, so you could actually use very few stones or remove quite a bit of the brick. You could experiment with it by removing some of the brick this year and digging in compost in the holes. Scrub the remaining brick to freshen it.

• User
    9 years ago

If you google planting between pavers and planting between bricks, you'll find lots of neat ideas. Some look like beautiful tapestries. You'll still need height or something for a focal point, so you could possibly remove just part of the center bricks for a small shrub. Or you could put crushed rock in the center as a base for one large pot. I saved a few photos but the photo upload isn't working right now.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You might want to reconsider the placement of those evergreens. Small and compact now, but once they begin to grow, they might not be in the right location. Won't be able to see much of your home once they get big. Just a thought.

Landscapes · More Info
    Landscapes · More Info

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May, I feel like such a goof ball!!! I couldn't open the link you posted for the picture so I googled blue star and found this pic:

Of course the whole look is so pretty, but the stone has blue tones (as opposed to the orange tones of flagstone) and because the flowers come across as a light purple on my screen, I thought the blue star was the stone! I really love the coloring of this stone, and the grasses are pretty too...just had them confused. Your last posted clarified it. Isn't this just so pretty, not sure about the gargoyles though! lol

Beverly, thank you so much for the photo work! Actually as odd as it may seem, that is exactly what we want those trees to do. We live in a area that has become increasingly popular the past few years and as a result, the quiet country road we live on is now a lot more traveled. Add the new walking path and our hill, and we feel as if we are on display with no more privacy. The span of the yard is so wide that depending where you are, views of the house will still be visible, but not uncomfortably so.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Just a note:. Flagstone is not necessarily orange. You can find blues, greys, reds, etc.. I have actually not seen orange flagstone. It depends somewhat on what region of the country you are in. In PA (where I lived most of my life) and throughout the northeast, we had lots of blues, greys, greens, and reds.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cyn, The oranges are pretty and popular on the west coast and the only color I have ever seen it in and now I am really drawn to the blue and gray! We are in Michigan, so similar weather, do those flag stones hold up well with the dense cold? The orange can be gorgeous and does well in heat but I seem to remember hearing that it is not great in cold. probably regional. This is what a lot of folks have around their pools

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am a huge fan of spiky grasses. We have a super great nursery about 20 minutes from us and I'm planning to go there when they are fully stocked (still cold here unfortunately) so I will add it to the list I'm making. Thanks for another great idea!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH