SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lake_girl_gw

Kitchen update - before and sorta after pics

Lake_Girl
11 years ago

We went ahead with some updates to our 14 yr. old kitchen after I had a kitchen designer come to the house last year for a consult. We didn't use her, but she gave us the jumpstart we needed. The primary thing was raise the microwave, which was always too low (actually I think the cab above was not the right size). About 9:30 one evening we decide it wouldn't be a big deal to bump the cabinet and microwave up. But to make the crown mold work out, we ended up bumping mw out a little also. Doing all this exposed sides of the cabinets that weren't finished. One thing leads to another... All these months later, we've ended up adding a larger crown mold, new tile BS (the old BS had holes where the mw had been). We added new hardware, new sink, faucet, soapstone countertop, and oak BB on the island, recessed and undercabinet lights, and pendants. We hadn't planned on appliances, as ours worked fine. But an awesome deal on craigslist showed up, so we sold our white appliances on CL as well. One change the kitchen designer suggested (which was brilliant), was straighten the island when we changed out the countertop. My DH did this, and added the trim and feet to update it. Oh and before all this work, we had the floors refinished. The kitchen isn't huge, but I've got a large hutch that holds small appliances, and a large pantry in adjoining laundry room. Now, I'm trying to decide whether to add corbels or legs to the island, and whether to paint the walls. I'm loving all the grays, but the family likes the green, and I'm not sure how it would match up with the family room, which is a creamy tan.

Before:

after:

Comments (32)