SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meeotch_gw

induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture

meeotch
9 years ago

I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try out induction cooking before taking the plunge on a whole cooktop, and discovered a couple of things:

First, my giant 12" cast iron skillet heats really unevenly - hot in the middle, and literally cool enough to touch on the edges. Not entirely surprising, as I imagine the induction element is I've tried starting on the lowest setting and letting it run for a while to let the heat even out, to no avail. Again, slightly weird when compared to cooking on an electric burner of similar size for a shorter period of time. (Though I suppose electric spreads out the heat to some degree by heating the air under the pan.) So I looked into heat diffusers, and discovered that a lot of them are made of (wait for it)... cast iron!

Before plunking down a bunch of money to try an aluminum diffuser instead, I thought I'd post here for advice about getting an oversized cast iron pan to work with induction.

The second issue is that I feel like everything I cook on the new setup comes out really dry. Melted cheese tends to be soft in the middle with a dry skin on it, rather than the gooey liquid I'm used to. This might just be the ambient humidity (it's winter, and I just moved to a new place with forced air heating). I can't think of a physics-based reason why it would be the induction... but I'm not a physicist, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has noticed this sort of thing.

Comments (4)