SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackbrandywine

bluestar/culinarian vs. induction for high heat cooking

blackbrandywine
11 years ago

I am in the process of building a house and have been lurking here for a few months. First, thank you to everyone who posts here -- you are an amazing resource for the rest of us! We had settled on either a BlueStar or Culinarian rangetop based on my research here, but now we are wondering if we should go the induction route.

I've searched and read all of the posts I could find on this forum (and elsewhere). Here is what I'd like to know: my husband does most of the cooking and high heat is very important to him for searing and sauteeing. Our current range has about 15k BTUs. It is good, but we are really looking forward to more power. I know that induction will boil water faster, but how does it perform for high heat cooking? Caramelization is imporant to our style of cooking. (I am aware of the drawbacks and workarounds with using a wok.) I really just want to know how induction will perform as compared to a 22k BTU burner for purposes of searing protein and for bringing a pan back up to heat after adding ingredients. Will the induction burner get the pan as hot (or hotter) as a Culinarian? And will it bring it back up to temperature quickly when we dump a bunch of stuff in there? We are going to go try one out, but I value your opinions and would like to hear about real-life experience.

I have read about other pros/cons of induction. We live in southern california and rarely have power outages, so that is not an issue. I am not concerned about the safety of a gas rangetop. We are focused on energy efficiency, but that is not a determinative factor for this specific decision. We've never been bothered by the heat thrown off by a gas range, and the easy cleanup of induction (while nice) is not a game-changer for us. I also know that induction is more precise. That sounds great, but that has not been a huge issue for us in the past.

The other concern I have about induction is that the different "burners" have different power. We were hoping for several high heat burners. If we go induction, we may consider the new Thermador Freedom Zoneless. We would probably also consider the Gaggenau 36-inch (not zoneless).

Thank you in advance!

Comments (25)