SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amymk02

HELP, I think my tiler is terrible!

AmyMK02
9 years ago

I should be making cookies but....

I'm not because I am over here fretting about my tile :(

On Saturday a tiler came out to start on my backsplash. 3x6 tumbled marble tile in a brick pattern. Pretty simple - no features or anything. He shows up 3 hours late. He gets started and I notice he isn't using a trowel. He is back-buttering all of the tiles. He does not leave a 1/8" gap between my granite countertop and the tile, he has them butted up against each other. Then I see that he is using a tile cutter that one would use for porcelain or ceramic tile to cut the tile (at this point, that doesn't look too bad though). He leaves. He comes back the best day 3 hours late, again. He is here for 8 hours, and is still not finished laying the tile. Monday he calls me 3 hours later than he was supposed to be here saying he was on his way, an hour later he called to tell me his mother had a stoke, he does not come at all on monday. Today, tuesday, he shows up - you guessed it! - THREE HOURS LATE. He gets all the tile laid. This time though, the tile he has to cut length wise to fit below the cabinets looks HORRIBLE!!!! He does not wait the 6 hours the mastic says to wait to cure and he begins grouting. He only got a small part done before he ran out of grout, and because he was THREE hours late, again, the store was closed to go get more. I don't know what his intentions are for between the tile and cabinets because they look terrible. I dug the grout out of the tiny tiny space where the tile meets the granite to try to caulk that instead. Now, I have to get up super early on x-mas eve morning to go get grout so he can come back and "try" to be done before my family comes for Christmas eve!!! To top it off, he pour his dirty grout water down my sink.

SERIOUSLY. Is this the norm, or does this guy not know what he is doing?!?! How can I salvage this? How can I make the tile look better at the top? Is there going to be an issue because he didn't leave the gap? I thought hiring someone was going to produce better results than I could have done, but I'm pretty handy and now I regret it.

Comments (19)