SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rooandcheese

Cabinet Emergency!

rooandcheese
9 years ago

We are half-way through our remodel and ran into a really awful situation.

At our designer's strong urging, we chose to go with a cabinetmaker she has worked with in the past. He was going to build us custom cabinets at a pretty good price. Once we started construction, he started being really flaky. Without going into the details, we finally were able to get a hold of him this week and it's just not going to work out. To top it off, Our designer is out of the country for the next month so we are on our own to get out of this mess.

So now we are supposed to be installing cabinets in about 3 weeks and we have no cabinetmaker. I have been scrambling to find options, and the challenge is everyone either has really long lead times (especially with the holidays), is way over our budget, or wouldn't be able to deliver what we want. We know 3 weeks is pretty unrealistic since we are starting from scratch, but I'm not even finding options in the 4-6 week range that fit our style and budget.

In terms of style, we want frameless with white painted and walnut veneer slab doors and walnut open shelves. Lots of drawers with nice hardware and all the bells and whistles you would want in new cabs. The complicated part is that we also have an area where we will need 40" deep tall cabs for laundry, full-depth fridge and pantry. We also have an island that works best if we can do a few extra-deep cabs but we could work with standard depth if necessary.

So far I have reached out to several custom cabinetmakers (found on Yelp and Houzz), but all are very $$$$ and/or booked for months (we are in SF). I also went to Lowe's and they put together a pretty good plan in Schuler that fits our budget, however it's not frameless. We have an appt with a local designer to look at Omega Dynasty and at HD for InnerMost. Worst case, we could do IKEA with Semi-Handmade doors (Husband hates IKEA doors), but I don't know how we would do our extra-deep laundry, fridge and pantry cabs. I really don't love any of these options, and am angry that I am going to have to settle on my cabinetry because of a bad recommendation.

So... are there any other options I haven't thought of that fit the bill?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living