SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Cabinet door 'emergency' - help please!

theresse
13 years ago

Sorry for the drama, folks! ;) Dimensions of the space where the doors will go are listed at the bottom of my rant...

My contractor ordered double doors to go on the lower cabs, on both ends of the long countertop (that has sink and windows in the center). Because those cabinet spaces aren't as wide as most, I thought double doors in single-panel shaker style would look awkward (tall, narrow panels) so I THOUGHT I asked him to give me just one solid door there (and likewise on the opposite end of the long countertop, where the other cabinet is), but can find no evidence that I did. Also, my integrated dishwasher's cabinet door front will be one big "door" look (they're all shaker style, inset/flush mounted), so that was another contributing factor to wanting one door instead of two, on each end: so all doors would be somewhat consistent/similar looking.

So, please see the pics and note that on both ends of the 12'-long countertop, beneath, are cupboard spaces (w/ dishwasher, sink and set of drawers, in between). The end cupboard spaces were each supposed to have one large-ish cabinet doors on them.

I don't know what to do, without proof of what I asked. Maybe I didn't ask like I thought I did?! I'm usually so thorough. I'm second-guessing myself. He said he could replace them but of course he didn't say at his expense, and this project from hell has taken way too long already and I'm over-budget (of course). So I'm thinking of just having him install it w/ these damned double doors and just replacing them later, when I've had months or years to get over the stress of it all.

What do you think? Do you think there's a chance double doors could look okay in those spaces? Please answer truthfully. The three concerns are: a) each door w/ shaker panel could look awkwardly skinny, and b) that entire wall will overall look way too busy looking, and c) the dishwasher integrated door front will be one solid door - so now it will hardly be "integrated."

I don't have a pic of the doors as they're not here yet (he's got them at his place where he painted them) but I'll show you pics of the cabinets and their faces, which will give you an idea of the way they'd look. FYI, the face frames are between 2 and 3" wide. The far left cabinet space - inside the face frame - is 20 3/4" wide. The dishwasher to its right is 25 1/4" wide inside its face frame, and on the far right of the countertop, the cabinet space there is 21" wide.

Here are pics: please tell me the truth about what you think. Double darn it! Single darn it?!

Thank you SO MUCH everybody! You guys... I'm struggling like hell w/ this kitchen but I'd be SO WORSE OFF without you incredibly helpful people!!!

Comments (9)