SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lanaroma

Educate me on fine china brands in the U.S.

LanaRoma
9 years ago

Could you, fellow GWers, enlighten me on fine dinnerware brands common in the U.S.? Which brands are definitely worth buying second hand?

I'm partial to nice tableware and would love to get a set or two in addition to the china I already have. Being a hard-core thrift shopper with champagne tastes, I scout Craigslist, garage and estate sales for upscale stuff. TJMaxx is also on my list of places to go.

The problem is that I am not familiar with common brands here and can't gauge the quality of china from Craigslist photos. The upscale brands marketed in my home country are mostly European imports like Rosenthal or Villeroy & Boch.

Lots of Noritake, Mikasa, Royal Worcester, Spode and Lenox on CL here. Some vintage mid-century china dinner sets that look attractive in pictures, but, again, I don't know the brands/manufacturers. I saw a few vintage Bavarian porcelain sets but they weren't my style, unfortunately.

Another issue is that the supposedly fine china at estate sales or thrift stores often looks faded with transferware decor rubbed off in places. That makes me question the quality of newer pieces.

My family in Moscow have had a few porcelain sets for 40-50 years that still look like new. Of course they have been used only on special occasions, perhaps a dozen times a year.

My DH and I are regularly invited to holiday dinners at my BIL's place. Their table style is Pier 1 Imports or World Market, which is not my thing. It does go well with the overall style of BIL's home.

I saw Spode at some people's places and looked at Xmas dishes by Spode at TJMaxx. The transferware was a little crude compared to the Rosenthal pieces I brought from my home country.

A few pictures from online sources below to give you a better idea of my preferences:

- I got exactly the same 12-person Mikasa Classic Flair Gray dinner & tea set for $45 at a garage sale a few years ago. It was brand new in a box. Now it's our everyday dinner set.

- My mother is giving me a cobalt tea service like the one in the picture. Made in Russia in the 60's. I love it! Ideally, I'd like to get a set of dinner dishes to go with it, like the ones from Rosenthal or Villeroy & Boch.

- I inherited exactly the same Tono China set made in Japan from my late great-aunt in Moscow. She bought it when she worked on Sakhalin Island in the 50's. It comes out for some holiday meals. Hand wash only, but it still looks like new.

Comments (16)