SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19779803

confusion/memory loss?

User
9 years ago

Maybe my mind is working over time so I need some perspective from others who might have some experience with nursing homes.

I have an elderly friend in the local nursing home. I visit her most Mondays. Sometimes she is lucid and carries on a great conversation. Sometimes she is so tired, confused, and out of it she can't remember what happened today or some other time in the past that she thinks happened today.

When I was there Monday with a birthday bouquet, she was telling me her left arm was tingling and had been "for days". I even asked the nurse to check her blood pressure because she was such a funny color. I wish I would have written it down but I think it was 153/78. Could that be? The nurse said it was "a little high".

I was back on Wednesday for her doctor appointment. Monday she was weak and tired and told me she "was tired of it". From the way she said it I thought she meant she was ready to die. On Wednesday she was "fine". And by Wednesday her bouquet had disappeared; her daughter was there on Tuesday and said there was no bouquet on Tuesday. So from 4:00PM on Monday to 11:00AM on Tuesday the bouquet vanished and she didn't know anything about ever having had one. Do I report the missing flowers? To who?

I didn't know it then but she apparently slid out of her lift chair Sunday evening and ended up on the floor.

Since she has doctor appointments this week and I am closer than her daughter, I have been going in. We started comparing notes and I am wondering if she is not getting her medications like she should be?? Or is she getting the right ones? Something is very wrong with her. One day she is able to discuss the genealogical papers we're trying to sort and the very next day she isn't able to think clearly enough to tell me which family the papers belong to. And she knows she is confused and disoriented.

One other thing, the tingling in her left arm was not reported by anyone until I don't know when. Her daughter was under the impression it happened Monday night.

I know this is really hard to follow and had I known I would want a time line I would have paid closer attention to everything but it wasn't until today that I started thinking something was not right there.

How could I or her daughter check the meds she's getting or not getting. I know it's happened that people who work with drugs sometimes switch a placebo with the real thing and pocket the real drug themselves. Could the confusion and clarity that fluctuates from day to day be caused by medication or is it really happening to her and she's getting the correct medication? Am I being paranoid about it? Should I question what's going on or am I blowing this out of proportion?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus