SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

Custom island: Let's make it super functional

laughablemoments
9 years ago

Hi all,
I've sketched up our kitchen, but I'm not totally settled on the placement of everything in the island. DH will be building it custom, so let's finalize the design. : ) Is the prep sink too far from the cooktop, or is this the best location for it?

Here's what the island needs to include:

1. Dish storage
2. 18" Trash pullout - Our family of 9 generates a lot of trash daily. I'm thinking of putting it on the corner where sketched so that it can roll toward the sink as well as having a door that opens on the long side for quick tosses from the side as well.
3. 15" Summit undercounter fridge will used for baking and cooking items: eggs (6+ doz. per week), butter, yeast, etc.
4. A prep sink, not purchased yet. I felt like our 16x18 one was too small at our old house. I splashed everywhere every time I used it.
5. A long stretch of workspace. (x multiples, please)
6. Some seating. 3 should be adequate.

*Also, where do I put the MW? I have it sketched in the hutch off to the side, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like it there. I often use the MW for defrosting meat for supper, heating veggies for supper, softening butter for baking. We use it for reheating leftovers, too. I'd like to shy away from a drawer mw. We're putting in double ovens, so I'm also reluctant to stack the MW with those.

Should we change anything? Thanks so much! : )

{{gwi:2139105}}

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor