SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roarahgw

second guessing appropiateness of latest project

roarah
9 years ago

I asked a philosophical question yesterday that was provoked by a project I finished on New Year's Eve. I had been planning this project for some time.

When we did our walk thru our living room had two sets of french doors, one to the hall and one too the sun room. The previous owners did not attend the closing and during which they removed the sunroom doors, exterior shutters and medicine cabinets among others things . We had dated pics of the walk thru so we could have legally obtained them back but decided to let it go. And the way we use the rooms the swing of the orginal doors would have been too awkward anyway. Pocket doors, however would have been perfect.

Well I found some doors in a dumpster that match our homes doors and we had the pocket door work priced out but because it is a structural wall it was not a feasible option for us.

skip ahead to modern day blog world and ahha barndoors are what I thought might be the answer...I just finished installing the hardware and hung the as yet to be refinished doors and they do look perfect from one room but from the other it looks off to me. The sunroom is mainly a kids' space and closing off both mess and noise is a very positive thing but I am uncertain if that function justifies the inconsistan of the look from that room. I can take them down but what saddens me is that I had to cut notches in the door casing.

Here are pics from both rooms and if the doors stay I will refinish them, but keep them darkly stained. So are they so inappropriate that I should take them down and repair the molding or is it ok for my 1920s age home?

This post was edited by roarah on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 15:03

Comments (26)